Chapter Six

Chapter 6

Today is the big day! Olivia has already headed out to the Dartmouth House in the city. She wanted to stay away from Liam for awhile, and she had said that if she stayed around him, she might get cold feet and back out. Whatever. It's her wedding.

"Soph," Kenzie calls, "I'm ready!" She walks out of her room, wearing her dress, and takes Niall's arm. They've been hanging around each other a lot. It's super sweet, and she seems a lot happier now. 

"Yay! You guys look so great!" I say, I'm also ready, "I'm not actually too excited about wearing a dress. I always trip over them, and these are unusually long, so here comes a super-fun trip-fest! Yeah!" Niall and Kenzie laugh, and I glare over at them. He's wearing a tux with a white t-shirt underneath.

"Whoa. You look amazing!" I say. Zayn just walked down the stairs. He has a black tuxedo on, with a white button-down shirt and a black ribbon around his neck.

Harry, Louis, and Liam look the same, but with varying ties and shirts. Harry has a polka-dotted shirt, Louis also has a polka-dotted shirt, and Liam has a plain shirt, black tux (just like everyone else...) and a dragonfly brooch. 

"Yay!" I say, "Let's get married!" I throw my arms up over my head, smiling.

"But you're not getting married." Niall corrects.

"Whatever. Don't judge me." Everyone laughs. 

We get into the car, and drive to the Dartmouth House. Woohoo! We still have to take two cars, so I go with Zayn and Harry, and Kenzie goes in the other car with Louis, Niall, and Liam. Everyone seems nervous. What if Olivia calls the wedding off? 

"Sophie?" Zayn looks at me in the rearview mirror, "You okay?"

"I'm fine." I say, dismissively. I twist my fingers together and sigh. I didn't feel like carrying my purse with me, so I left it at the mansion. Maybe I should've taken it... whatever. 

Harry and Zayn talk about random things like books, and why people read, all the way to the House. Weirdos...

Zayn opens my door, and I realize that we're here, "Thanks." I say, climbing out. The three of us meet up with the rest of the guys. Liam tells us that we should be socializing with people, but I don't really know anyone here, so I stick close to Zayn. 

I say 'hi,' and 'nice to meet you.' I keep looking around for someone I actually know, but for a long time I can't find anyone. 

"What's wrong with you?" Zayn's asking me, "I feel like you're gonna take off at any moment." 

I laugh, "I'm just looking for someone. I'm not leaving." 

He smiles, and takes my hand. We walk over to the refreshments table, and he offers me some wine, but I just shake my head. Instead, he takes some for himself, and takes me over to meet some other people. 

One woman claims that she knows me, saying, "Do you remember me? We went to high school together!" 

"Which one?" I ask her. She has dark hair, and bright eyes. 

"Uh... you remember, it was--" she starts.

"I'm sorry," I interrupt, "But I don't know you. By the way, I went to Cedarcrest." I didn't mean for it to be snappy, but that's how it comes out. Her expression falls, and I turn and walk away, taking Zayn's almost-empty wine glass with me. I throw back the rest of the red alcohol, and roll my eyes. 

Then I see people. Right in front of me. Brooke Benson, and her brother, Benny, "Brooke!" I say.

"Sophie? Oh my goodness. I knew we would see you here." Brooke says, grinning.