Bonus Material: Famed neuroscientist injured in lab accident

Famed neuroscientist injured in lab accident
BBC Eurowire, 19 March 2005

Internationally-renowned neuroscientist Dr. Kyoko Zeppelin Langley-Soryu was hospitalized in Berlin late Wednesday night, German authorities reported.

According to Federal Police officials, emergency personnel were summoned to the grounds of Cybus GmbH, the private research institute headed by Dr. Langley-Soryu, after a fire was reported within one of the main laboratories. An investigation concluded that the fire was electrical in nature, originating from one of the institute's many ongoing projects.

After being recovered from the scene, the 31-year-old Tobias Vaughn Prize winner was transported to the Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, where she was admitted early Thursday morning. Hospital officials described her condition on Friday as "stable." They refused to comment on rumours that Dr. Langley-Soryu is currently in a vegetative or comatose state, citing patient confidentiality.

A well-known scientific prodigy of German-Japanese descent, Dr. Langley-Soryu is widely considered to be one of the world's leading pioneers in the fields of neurobiology, cybernetics and mind-machine interface. She married former astronaut Richard Langley in 2001. They have one daughter.