fire escape

I noticed that I had gained weight the last couple of months. My job didn't gave me the time to take care of myself properly, so I decided a Sunday morning that I would go to the local park - forest to have a jog and try to get in shape slowly. There hadn't been ten minutes through the forest and I was already tired. You can to it Allie, I thought. The in front of me there was big waves of smoke that I inhaled. It was probably coming from a fire. I thought that I had to get closer and see if someone was there to help him out. I wanted to be a savior but I thought wrong.

As I was getting closer I saw a lot of trees were burning and the fire was spreading fast. I couldn't see properly but I heard a scream of a child. I was right! Someone wanted my help. It was getting harder and harder to breathe as I was running to find where the scream came from. It was logic because there wasn't oxygen there was just smoke. I heard the same scream again and I pushed myself harder to run to the direction the sound was heard. Suddenly I found a young boy around 6 crying his eyes out and standing there not knowing where to go. Where the hell were his parents?

<< Come on boy , let's get you out of here>> I tried to be as gentle as I could. I really hated young children, especially young crying children. They were so damn annoying when they cried. I took him in my arms when I saw he wasn't going to move anytime soon anyway and thankfully he was a lightweight. I walked for a hundred feet like that but I couldn't walk anymore. I was finding it more and more hard to breathe. What the fuck was wrong with me? The smoke influenced me so bad? Why isn't the young boy like me? I thought.

<<Look, I can't go any longer from here, it's on you right now. Go to this direction and ran carefully but fast and you'll reach a path . Follow the path and you'll find yourself to the end of the forest okay??>> He looked scared and I felt kind of bad from telling him to go on his own but in my condition I was only going to get him go to safety slower. He nodded and hugged me which surprised me and then turned away and left. I touched my hands to my knees trying to catch my breath. So much for a jog. I had such a bad luck. I hoped someone had called the fire department because at this rate the whole local forest would be on fire in some minutes.

I tried walking further at a slower rate, but a felt so tired like my muscles couldn't work properly and my breath came out in pants. I leaned my body and rested under a big tree. I was fairly away from the fire and I hoped that someone would come get me before I get burned too. I needed a hospital, or a puff of fresh air, the smoke didn't help my condition at all. As I was dizzy I closed my eyes and waited. After some agonizingly slow minutes I heard voices asking << is anyone here?>> so I gathered all the strength I had left and yelled <<Here!!>>

I saw two firefighters running to my direction and mentally smiled. I was found thank god.

<<Hey you're okay? Why are you not walking away?>> the guy on my right asked.

<<I , I can't, I'm tired>> I said trying to get air to my lungs. They shared a look.

<<Come on , we'll help you out and get someone see you>> the other guy said gently.

They each grabbed each one of my arms and helped me upright. We started walking at my slow rate but my legs gave out. One of them caught me and lifted me bridal style like I weighed nothing.

<<it's okay darl, I got you, just keep breathing>> he said in a country voice and walked faster.

We reached the clearing and there were so many people and firefighters and paramedics. He guided us to an ambulance and gently placed me on a gurney.

<<She's fatigued, can't breathe, I think she make have an asthma attack but I'm not sure>> he explained. What? I had a what? I didn't have asthma my entire life, why would I have a n asthma attack. One of the paramedics placed and oxygen mask on me and told me to take deep slow breaths but I couldn't and this was so uncomfortable. I don't want to be the centre of attention. The firefighter that carried me was still there looking at me concerned , now that I took a quick glance of his face I noticed that he looked like a god. Where was I looking earlier? Oh right , nowhere I had my eyes closed. You're an idiot Allie, I scolded myself in my head.

The paramedic listened to my lungs and heart with his stethoscope.

<<Do you have your inhaler ? >> he asked me

<<What? What inhaler? I don't have athma?>>I answered as loud as I could.

<<But you do, didn't you know?>> he asked schocked

<<No, not until today anyway.>> I said back. My chest hurt a bit and I felt my airways slowly closing more and more. I put my hand to my neck in attempt to sooth the burning sensation but nothing helped at the moment. It was like I was dying slowly in this damn gurney. A tear slipped from my eye and down my face. I didn't want to die, I didn't even know the firefighter's name yet! He seemed to notice my expression and my mood and grabbed my hand tightly to comfort me. I smiled and hoped he saw through my oxygen mask. He did and smiled back and mouthed that it was going to be okay.

<<I'm going to give you some corticosteroids intravenously to help with your muscles in your neck and you'll be able to breathe better>> he said trying to find a vein and stuck hard a needle in. I closed my eyes in pain, he didn't have a light hand at all

<<Hey , go gentler>> the firefighter scolded the paramedic

<<sorry love, I know I don't have a light hand>> he answered

<<I'm going to give you some puffs from this inhaler and see if this works.>> he explained and gave me some puffs of something that held in my mouth. I instantly felt relief and mumbled a thanks

<<Okay, in a couple of minutes you can go, but I suggest you should go see a doctor soon, he would prescribe you some meds and an inhaler for your asthma, you don't have to go to the hospital because you didn't have a severe asthma attack. Just take it slow and gentle for today>>

I thanked him and the firefighter helped me get out of the gurney and reach my car.

<<Are you okay to go home on your own? Do you want me to take you?>> he asked. Woah, too fast I thought and gave him a strange look.

<<I didn't mean it like that! Oh my god, sorry , I really meant if you want me to drive you there to make sure you're okay>>

<<hahaha thanks that would be nice of you and ehm thanks for saving my life>> I smiled at him gracefully <<I really thought for a while I was going to die I'm Allie by the way>>

<< well you didn't, and that was good because we got to meet, I'm Ashton, nice to meet you, oh and thanks for saving my sister's son life>>

<<What do you mean?>> I asked confused

<<The boy you helped at the woods, it was my sisters son>>

<<OH!!! How is he? he followed my instructions I hope>>

<<he came out of the forest running and told me about a girl that helped him and told me to come look for you>>

Well the young brat did something good after all.