8~ Be Courteous

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

~ Malcolm X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two of them worked diligently through the night, trying to track every type of gun that could hold the bullets they found. Needless to say, they ran into a lot of dead ends. Jake was determined though, he wasn't willing to give up; even after he finished his fifth cup of coffee at one in the morning. The farthest they had deduced was that it had to be a revolver, but that was about it. Every gun store they called either didn't sell the model of bullets they were looking for, or downright refused to talk to the police at all. The investigation was beginning to lag.

Jake didn't make it home until about two o'clock in the morning, falling into bed right next to Jenna. The coffee was wearing down, as was his ability to keep his eyes open. But...

"What was it this time?" her groggy, sleep-ridden voice rose from the covers.

"We might have a lead," he replied, "The cops were shot with the same gun,"

Jenna suddenly rose from the pillow, her hair slanted to one side of her head, "How does that work?" she asked.

"There's another guy involved. We're trying to find the gun used. If we find that, we can find the store who sold it, and find the guy who bought it,"

"And you think he conditioned Freddie and that other kid to kill those cops?" 

"I bet my pension cheque," he replied.

"I'd prefer you didn't do that," she said. He was about to lean over and kiss her, but she placed her fingers over his lips.

"Did you brush your teeth?" Jake huffed.

"I'll do it in the morning," he grumbled.

"Then you won't get a good night kiss," she replied. He shrugged back.

"I can live with that," he said. Jenna grabbed her pillow and whacked him over the head with it, "Ow," she giggled and sat up against the headboard.

"How's your eye?" she asked.

"Still tender," he mumbled in reply, "Have you ever been to Hawaii?" he asked. She scoffed back.

"Is the Pope Jewish?" she replied.

"I was thinking when this is all over, you, me, and Quentin should take a week long trip to the island or something like that," he said. Jenna was suddenly intrigued. 

"I'm down for it," she said, "What's with this sudden urge for a tropical vacay?" 

"I was thinking about pineapples today," he said, knowing the answer already. She suddenly scowled.

"You know I break out if I eat pineapples," she said.

"Then you get the coconut sorbet and I'll have the pineapple," he replied. 

"I'm not even going to ask," she sighed as she laid back down, "Freddie's funeral is this Saturday, will you go with me?" she asked.

"Of course I'm going to go with you," he replied, "How's Ken doing?"

"As you would expect. He's cremating his own brother. I mean, yeah -- they were step brothers, but they were pretty damn close," she said, "Did you ever want a brother?"

"Sure," he replied, "You know, someone to play ball with, and stuff. But I got Lex now, you know?"

"Do you think Quentin wants a brother?" she asked. Jake turned and looked at her.