Chapter 7

"I promise you, I did not steal this ring," Fern protested as he entered the ballroom with a security guard on each side. "I was merely making a dramatic statement."

"That's true," I said, walking up to the two security officers. "He was trying on the ring right before the blackout."

Neither officer seemed convinced. "Then why did we find him getting on an elevator?"

"He was in the middle of flouncing out of the ballroom in protest when the power went out," Kate said.

The taller officer loosened his grip as he gave Fern the once-over. "Protesting what?"

"The indignity of having to work with a marginally talented stylist." Fern's voice cracked as he let his head flop forward. "The horror of being eclipsed before my star has been allowed to fully shine."

"Okay." The blond officer shook his head. "How about I take the ring and return it to the jeweler for you?"

Fern snapped his head back up. "That works for me." He slid the diamond ring off his finger and dropped it into one of the officer's opened palm. The two men released his arms and Fern smoothed his velvet smoking jacket. "I hope these creases in the velvet aren't permanent."

"Looks like you're having a bit of trouble, buddy." Christopher clapped a hand on Fern's shoulder as he came around the drape wall.

Fern stumbled forward a step then righted himself. "No. A little misunderstanding is all."

Kate rested a hand on my arm to steady herself as she took in Christopher at close range. I stared pointedly at Kate, hoping she'd get my message to take her gaping down a notch. Either she didn't notice the message or pretended not to. "I'm Kate. A friend of Fern's."

Christopher gave her a spectacular smile. "Any friend of Fern's is a friend of mine."

I had to admit that not only was this guy gorgeous, he seemed charming. I could tell why Fern despised him. If I met a female equivalent, I'd want to pull out her hair.

Fern had a forced smile on his face, but I could practically hear him seething inside. "What are you doing down here, Christopher?"

"Taking a peek at the ballroom before it all starts." He swept his arms wide. "But I was headed back up. Don't want to fall behind in glamming up these models, do we?" He placed a hand on the back of the model standing next to him, a picture in her beehive, nearly sheer wedding gown, and matching elbow-length sheer gloves. The dark-haired waif made quite the contrast to his bulk. Her bored gaze passed over us, but she didn't spare even the hint of a smile.

"If the show isn't shut down," I said.

"Why?" Fern and Christopher asked simultaneously.

I pointed to Fern's now-bare finger. "The ring you had on your finger wasn't the only one that walked off. Goodman & Sons Jewelers was robbed."

Fern gasped. "During the blackout?"

Kate nodded. "Someone got all of her diamond rings."

Fern staggered into Kate, who nearly buckled under his weight. "All those diamonds are gone?"

I ignored Fern's mock swoon and turned to Christopher. "You were here when the lights went out, right?"

He motioned to the right side of the drape wall. "I wanted to inspect my booth before the fashion show started. You know we're given a free booth for doing the hair for the show?"

I glanced at Fern, who gave a small nod and said under his breath, "I asked to be on the opposite side."

"I'm next to the bespoke tuxedo booth all the way at the end." Christopher grinned. "They're interested in having me model for them."

"I'll bet they are," Kate said. This time Fern stepped on her foot, causing her to yelp and glare at him. At this rate, they would be in a full-on brawl within five minutes.

"Did you see anything?" I asked Christopher, doing my best not to pay any attention to Kate and Fern.

"Well it was pitch dark," Christopher said and laughed at his own wit.

"Hear anything then?" I corrected myself. "Or notice anyone running around?"

Christopher cocked his head at me. "In the dark? No. I mean, people were talking and trying to find their way to an exit but no one was crazy enough to run around. The floor is still covered with boxes. They'd break their neck."

He made a good point. The ballroom remained pretty chaotic and messy. It would be difficult to take a step without having to dodge a crate or a pile of branches or a rack of glassware.

"What about when the lights came back on?" I asked.

He smiled at the model next to him. "I spent a few minutes talking to the tuxedo guys, and now I'm here talking to you."

"Right," I said. "I'm only asking to help find the missing rings. If they have to call in the police, that could mean the end of the bridal show."

Christopher's face fell. "But we've been working on these models since eight a.m."

"We've all been here for a while," Kate said. "That's why we're asking around. We find the diamonds, the show goes on."

"Well, you know where I was," Fern said.

"Had you made it to the elevators when the lights went out?" I asked.

Fern tapped a finger to his chin. "No. I was on the stairs from the foyer to the elevator bank. When everything went black, I froze."

"Who else was in the foyer and stairs with you?"

"Lots of people." He shuddered. "The poor lighting team still on ladders."

"Did you hear anyone running past you for the exit?"

Fern pursed his mouth while he thought. "Running? I don't think so. But someone could have walked past me. There was a lot of noise with the guys trying to come down from the ladders. One of them slipped and yelled pretty loud."

"Well, we'd better head back upstairs. We have a dress rehearsal for the show in a few minutes." Christopher thumped Fern on the back as he moved toward the door, guiding the model with a hand resting on the small of her back. A security guard stopped the pair, giving Christopher a pat-down, then seeing the tiny girl in the form-fitting gossamer gown and waving her through. There wasn't room between her skin and the fabric for a tissue much less a tray of diamond rings.

"Can you believe him?" Fern hissed once Christopher walked out of earshot.

"No." Kate stared after him. "He's almost too good to be true."

Fern glared at Kate. "So this is what betrayal feels like."

Kate slipped an arm around Fern's waist. "You know I love you the most."

He sniffed. "Talk is cheap, darling. But I suppose the beefcake is right. I'd better go back upstairs. You'll come see our dress rehearsal, won't you?"

"When is it? We still need to talk to a lot of people down here about the theft." I spotted the security officers walking toward us and tried to change the subject. "But text me before it starts, and we'll come upstairs."

"If we can," Kate said. "This crime isn't going to investigate itself."

I stared at her, willing her to be quiet, but as usual, she missed my signal. How could she pick up a single guy's signals from miles away yet miss all of mine?

"Very funny." I gave Kate a playful shove as the security officers got within earshot. "You're such a kidder."

"I wish it was a joke," Kate said. "You know that there are few things Annabelle loves as much as poking her nose into a crime when she's told not to."

"Is that so?" The stern expression on the tall officer's face told me that he wasn't amused.