Rose

“Rose (a noun) – any prickly bush or shrub of the genus Rosa, bearing usually fragrant flowers generally of a red, pink, yellow, or white colour,” James recited from a large, encyclopaedic dictionary as he stood with Class 11B in the school garden around a memorial plaque.

He placed a single red rose on the plaque before stepping back under the black umbrella inhabited by Lily, Bianca and Chris.  The burning, cold January air stung his face as the rain fell, blending with his tears.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

“So here it is, Merry Christmas, everybody’s having fun,” a class of fifteen and sixteen year-olds screamed, a few seconds out of synchronisation with the school bus’ music player.

There was only two days left until school finished for Christmas.  Following the end-of-term exams, Miss Braithwaite was taking her class 11B on an annual trip to the theme park.  Although the weather had been painfully cold, the bright, icy, winter sunshine didn’t stop the teenagers from testing their limits on all the thrill rides that were open to ride on.  They swapped summer ice-cream for intimate hot chocolate with mini-marshmallows, and had a picnic near the paddle-boat lake.

Now, on the way back to the school, the first of the season’s snow had begun to fall, as the students sang Christmas songs and exchanged Christmas presents with their closest friends.

At the rear of the bus, Rose embraced her boyfriend James, having just given him a video camera.  James read the instructions manual, placed a recordable DVD in the camera, and switched it on just in time to record Rose, opening the box containing his present to her.  A zoom into the box showed a beautiful silver, snake-chain necklace bearing a red, rose-shaped pendant.  They kissed as James placed it around her neck.

On the other side of Rose was her best friend Lily.  She sat, composing a message in the book she was about to present to Rose – ‘Picture Perfect’ by Jodi Picoult – while James took photographs of the gift ceremony.  Around Lily’s pale, thin, left wrist was a charm bracelet from Rose, sporting twelve charms – representing the number of years that they had been friends.  The largest charm on the bracelet had the two girls’ names engraved on one side, while the other bore the A A Milne’s Winnie the Pooh inscription:

“Are we going to be friends forever?” asked Piglet.

            “Even longer,” Pooh answered.

On the seat nearest to the window was Rose’s brother Chris.  He also was busy adding the finishing touches to wrapped Christmas presents.  He was about to give James a book about the theatre, a friendship ring to Lily, and a chocolate and strawberry – scented teddy bear accompanied by an apron and a cookery book to Rose.  On the inside cover of the cookery book, Chris had written the message:

“To my dear big sister Rose,

Thanks for always looking after me like a true big sister would, although you’re merely a few hours older than me. 

Thanks for teaching me the guitar and baking buns for me when I was upset. 

This book is for you to further your studies into hospitality and baking.

Enjoy!

Love and lots of hugs,

                                                From Chris.”

“Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell rock, jingle bells swing and jingle bells ring!” Class 11B continued to sing.

A few students pulled Christmas crackers while laughing and singing.  Tissue paper party hats of all different colours from the palest cerulean to the darkest ink were scattered along the coach with the simple gifts and shared jokes.