TIP #2: Developing Your Story

Sometimes you just have a handful of characters, the basic plot (or idea for one), and a story title that may or may not survive first-round edits. That's it, and you're wondering how to go about telling your story. I mean, basically, there is no story—at least not yet. If you are hoping to get past the idea phase into the actual development, then I highly recommend you do a bit of groundwork before attempting to write anything. This will help you create (write) your story. 

1) Sketch out your plot. Okay, now you're asking yourself—what exactly is plot? As defined by Wikipedia (yes, use it sometime):

"Plot is a literary term defined as the events that make up a story, particularly as they relate to one another in a pattern, in a sequence, through cause and effect, how the reader views the story, or simply by coincidence. A plot 'insures that you get your character from point A to point Z'..." 

I suggest reading: http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Plot-Outline

Among several things to consider and define when focusing on plot, you should:

a) Define each of your characters, both major and minor. Create their backstories—e.g., how they came to be, their motivations, personality traits, etc.—because you'll need to include some of this detail in your story to give your characters depth and/or uniqueness. You don't want empty, one-dimensional characters...like EVER!!! These will only make the story bland, less engaging.

b) Determine what conflicts you wish to introduce in the story and the ways in which you intend to resolve them. Even if you decide there is no resolution, you will need to convey that in the story. Readers will be looking for you to answer the things that you introduce. Never introduce something only to leave it undeveloped or untreated in the story.  

2) Create the story outline. Write a brief plan/scope for each chapter by defining what you'd like to accomplish in each.

For the sake of simplicity, here's a generic outline:

Chapter 1 - Introduce main character or protagonist

Chapter 2 - Introduce antagonist 

Chapter 3 - Introduce conflict

Chapter 4 - Begin story development leading to resolution of conflict

Chapter 5 - Toss in some backstory

And so and so forth. 

[REMEMBER]

In storytelling, there's a beginning, a middle, and an end. You'll want to come up with a very good chapter-by-chapter outline that covers these three parts.