Chapter #1 | Life or Death

Peter Ansay’s Log - 2012, August 30th

05:00 a.m.

I just had a terrible dream.

Waking up in a pool of my own sweat is starting to become a habit impossible to break… The future doesn’t look much brighter either and if I’m correct, this will soon be a lot more than just a bad dream.

It starts, as always, in a devastated city, burning up and exploding as if I just missed a massive bomb explosion or some kind of natural disaster. I’m standing right in the middle of it, surrounded by skyscrapers in ruins, some of them completely destroyed, others missing entire floors, but somehow still standing.

I never see anyone in those dreams. It always looks like I’m the last man alive in a deserted and cold world stripped away from all human existence. What frightens me is not so much the absence of people, although I got to say that it is not that nice either, but the feeling that I’m being watched, almost hunted, as if I’m in some way a prey. 

I used to dream about people…

7:15 a.m.

I tried to sleep again, but I had no luck. My back is starting to hurt from lying in bed.

I could use the sleep. Not having my lab is already slowing me down and I need my brain fresh and awake if I want to finish my research.

Ever since I discovered the possible ramifications of the Large Hadron Collider experiments I can’t seem to sleep properly. And since it all started to get clearer, pointing to a more than probable disastrous ending, apparently not even in my dreams I can rest.

I tried to alert my peers, my superiors and the whole scientific community. I tried everything I could to explain that the effects could be catastrophic. I knocked on every door and contacted everyone that matters, but it’s been hard to be taken seriously since those bastards shut me down.

My last hope is to get through Lydia, an old college colleague of mine who is now a renowned journalist working in the States. I figured if you can’t alert the scientific community, you can alert the opinion makers and they can take the information to the people.

Not even CERN could quiet down the thousands of voices that will surely rise when my findings become public. Not like they did to me. They will be forced to shut down the Collider experiments! At least until I can prove my findings.

9:00 a.m.

Just finished writing the e-mail to Lydia.

The walls of this hotel room are starting to close in on me. It’s only when I’m working that this feeling goes away.

I can’t blame it on myself. I mean, I have been here for what seems to be an eternity and I can’t even get a proper night’s rest. I do everything here. I work here, I eat here, I drink here, I try to sleep here… and this is not exactly the work place I’m used to, let alone a home.

But I can’t leave. I won’t! I’m not leaving Geneva until someone listens to me, even if I’m not allowed into my lab anymore.

Pogo is the only one who understands me. At least he doesn’t say anything to disprove me…

It probably helps that he is an iguana.

5:10 p.m.

The wait is making me lose my mind! Why doesn’t she call me back?! Not even a reply to my e-mail, nothing! How can she ignore me like this?

Maybe she didn’t have the time to check her inbox. I’ll try it once again.

7:50 p.m.

I’d finally managed to concentrate on my thoughts when the cleaning lady knocked on the door. Who needs towels if the world is about to end? I lost it now… the concentration I mean. Damn it!

10:20 p.m.

I’m starting to think that not even evoking my father’s name is going to help me this time. Maybe Lydia is not how she used to be. I was positive she would help me, but I’m starting to feel a lot less certain.

I can’t give up. Everything is at stake. Reality itself is in danger.

And I’m the only one who can stop it.

 ...........

Click the Thumbnail Below or Click Info on Mobile to Watch the Webisode.