Chapter One Dattebayo!

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. 

Chapter One

“Don’t mind me, I’m fine! My comrades… they’re the one who needs you! They’re dying somewhere out there!” Shikamaru said to the Medical Corps. as they rushed into the battlefield to heal Shikamaru’s team and Lee who just fought the Sound Ninja Four and Kimimaro to bring back Sasuke to the Village. The Medical Corps left Shikamaru and searched for the others around the area.

“T-thank you, Temari,” Shikamaru said at the Hidden Sand kunoichi who was carrying a giant fan as her weapon. She turned quickly to the boy with black hair ponytailed in a somewhat spiky way with a surprised look in her face. She knew that Shikamaru would never address her by her first name and instead call her ‘Troublesome’ or ‘Woman.’

“Why thank me?” Temari asked as she averted her gaze and pretended not to care at all.

“If you hadn’t jumped in I could’ve been killed there,” Shikamaru said as he stood up straight and angled his body towards her. Temari did the same and patted his shoulder.

“Better thank Gaara and Kankuro too. They saved your comrades’ ass too you know.”

“Asses.”

She chuckled and removed her hand that occupied his shoulder. They headed back to Konoha as soon as everybody was found. Those with serious wounds will be treated at the hospital.

-----

Hidden Leaf Hospital

“I failed as a leader… I swear I’d do a better job next time!” Shikamaru sobbed after hearing Asuma’s lecturing words. Asuma, Shikaku, Temari and he were outside Chouji’s room. He walked away from the others and left the hospital to head to the hill near the training grounds were Team 10 (Shikamaru, Ino and Chouji) trains with their sensei, Asuma,.

He enjoyed cloud watching there, where he would wish to be as free as the clouds above. He doesn’t want any responsibilities. He was a lazy and nonchalant guy. He wants to run away from harsh missions which he doesn’t like but his tactical and analytic skills were in demand for high ranked missions since he already became a chuunin.

He finally reached the hill and sat on his favourite spot. He could see the clouds take form of different shapes and could hear the rustling of leaves of the tree around him. He could feel the gentle breeze as he rested the back of his head on his hands and leaned against a tree. He soon fell into a deep slumber due to his weariness.

A few hours later, he was awakened by the sound of footsteps approaching him. He opened his eyes and stood up straight. It was Temari, dressed in her usual attire, just without her giant fan she carries at her back.

“Oi, crybaby,” Temari called as she waved at Shikamaru. Shikamaru rolled his eyes and leaned at the tree again.

“You… you talk too much,” he said, clearly annoyed.

“I knew I’d find you here,” She just sat beside him and also leaned at the same tree wherein their shoulders almost touch.

Big ones, small ones, fat ones, thin ones; all manner and type of cloud passed above as Shikamaru the shadow ninja and Temari the wind ninja looked on below. The forest had grown significantly quieter. The bugs had stopped their noises for the time being. Shikamaru stared at her as she watched the clouds. Teal eyes, Blonde hair…

“Oi, I know you find me beautiful, but you should quit staring. It’s freaking me out you know,” Temari said as she glared at Shikamaru.

“What the hell woman. Shut up. You’re annoying.” Shikamaru said as a faint blush crept to his cheeks. Temari saw him and smirked.

They sat there for a while, just watching the clouds. Shikamaru looked at her, and this time she was the one staring. She turned away her eyes quickly and pretended not to be staring. Shikamaru just smiled like an idiot which Temari saw and laughed hardly.

“You do know that only sad old men and little kids enjoy watching clouds right?” Temari said.

Shikamaru ignored the statement, “I’m impressed. Usually people don’t stay with me this long. And you haven’t even complained.”

She scoffed, “The desert teaches you a lot about patience. Once you’ve learned not to complain about that, then you pretty much forget to complain about where you are.”

“I’m sure I could learn to live there, though, if I tried.”

“I doubt you could, crybaby. You’ll get swallowed up if you don’t know what to watch out for.”

“I know how to read the terrain, you troublesome woman. I’ve learned about the importance of geography and how situations can change if you don’t watch out.”

“It’s not that I think you’re stupid. I know what you can do.  But the desert’s relentless, and it’s all around you, and it goes on forever. It’s not a game that ends quickly.”

A cloud drifts by, shading the world momentarily. Shikamaru rested his elbow on his knee and put his chin in the crook of his arm. His head lay to one side, and his eyes remained fixed on the sky above.

It wasn’t long enough when they caught each other staring for a while. Shikamaru looked away and so did Temari. Shikamaru stood up and offered a hand to help her stand up.

“Why’d you even bother to come here? You should be with your brothers you know?”

Temari didn’t take his hand and stood up on her own. Then she said, “I can stand up by myself you know. And I guess I just have to since your friends are still recuperating at the hospital.”

“I don’t need someone to come with me anyway. Plus, if I need one, I should have called Ino,” Shikamaru replied.

“Tch. You look very miserable you know. So I thought you need some cheering up. And I saw Ino before I got here and was busy helping her father work at their flower shop. So I knew she wouldn’t be able to see you,” Temari said.

As the forest started to acquire an orange afterglow, Shikamaru realized that his cue had come.

“Now,” he declared, “It’s about time I walked you home. I wouldn’t be a man if I didn’t.”

-----

BadButt04 :)