Lily- Age 1

It was Lily's first birthday, I think, that I was given to her. I was a present from Mommy to Lily, and Daddy wasn't allowed to take me. Ever. That was the promise.

Back then I was just Bear. Since Lily couldn't talk, and Mommy didn't want to name me so Lily could do it later, I was just Bear.

I sat inside a dark box for a long time. I think it was dark, at least. I couldn't see the outside of the box so I don't know what it looked like. It could have been dark, I guess. But when I felt Mommy's hands under my arms and I was lifted into the bright living room, I didn't care about the box anymore. I saw the little girl and that was it.

She was wearing a pretty light purple dress that had little pink flowers around the bottom, and she had a little flowery headband sitting on top of her head. I saw little, wispy, golden hairs sticking up from her head. Her eyes were big and blue but starting to turn green.

Her eyes got brighter when she saw me, and her mouth stretched into a really big, really happy smile. Her fat little baby hands stretched out to me and wrapped around me. She hugged me tight, her whole little body wrapping around me and I wanted to stay with her forever and ever.

"Lily," I heard Mommy coo, grabbing the little girl's attention. I think that means her name is Lily. "This is your new bear," she said, softly stroking her hair. "He's going to be your friend forever, sweetie." I wish I could have nodded at her to agree.

Lily smiled again, the happiest little baby smile ever.

It was later that night, I think, because the sky was dark outside Lily's bedroom. I could see a big white circle in the sky behind the curtains, and it was surrounded with littler white dots. I didn't know what they were, but they were pretty.

Lily was sleeping, all cozy under a blanket and warm. I was in the corner of her crib, just watching. I wanted her to be safe. I was going to be the bestest watch-bear ever.

The door cracked open, a little bit of yellowy light coming into the room. Lily's teeny tiny hand reached out and grabbed my foot, only to be pulled away a little bit later by Mommy, who picked me up and cradled me in her arms, sitting down in a rocking chair to rock me and her really slowly back and forth.

"I want you to promise me something, alright, Bear?"

Okay, Mommy.

"Promise me you'll always look after Lily for me? No matter what happens. You're very special. You're a present from Lily's great-grandma, and Lily's great-grandma can't make her any more presents. Do you understand?"

I tried to nod, but I don't have bones, so I can't move.

"I'm sure you do," she said with a smile. "Thank you," she whispered, laying me back down in the crib with Lily. I looked at Lily with a warm feeling in my stuffing like I actually belonged here.

Lily loved me and Mommy loved me. I loved them.

Everything was okay.