Plot

A cloud hovers over a flat, dry land.

A raindrop falls to the ground and becomes Rain.  The cloud vanishes.

A hill grows out of the ground and becomes Dust.

Rain smiles and waves to Dust enthusiastically.  Dust waves back with less emotion.

Rain skips over to Dust and encourages him to dance.  Dust will not dance and shakes his head “no.”  Rain’s smile lessens.

Dust invites Rain to walk with him.  Dust walks slowly while Rain skips and dances ahead.

They come to a tree.  Dust sits at its roots while Rain climbs onto a branch.  Rain waves down at Dust, but Dust ignores him.  Rain’s smile grows smaller.

Dust begins to draw in the dirt, and Rain silently watches, captivated.

A bird lands on the ground near Dust.  Rain climbs down to look at it.  The two watch the bird for a moment.

Dust tries to pet the bird, but it bites him.  He kills it with a rock.  Rain cries.  Dust looks at him with confusion and offers him a dirt sculpture of a bird in an attempt to cheer him.

Rain takes the dirt bird, sniffles, then hugs Dust.

Dust stands and continues walking, and Rain follows.  Along the way, Dust sings a song, and Rain joins in.

They stop walking.  Rain expresses affection for Dust, and Dust returns it.

It starts to get dark, so they lie down beside a large rock to rest.

In the morning when they wake up, it’s raining.  The rain starts to wash Dust away, and he becomes Mud.

Mud pushes Rain away and leaves.  Rain’s aura turns from gold to blue, and his smile turns into a frown.

Rain goes looking for Dust but can’t find him.  After shedding one single tear, he lies down on the ground and falls asleep.

After a few days, Mud dries out and becomes Dust again.  He misses Rain and goes looking for him.  Rain is wandering the desert alone and looks empty and depressed.  When he sees Dust, he runs to him.

The two of them touch hands, and a bluish aura surrounds them.  Rain inhales the scent as Dust hugs him.