Chapter 2

I got up at first light to start my chores with my plain green dress and a straw hat. On my way outside, I grabbed a quick apple for breakfast and headed for the chicken coops. As I gingerly took the eggs from under the large birds, I heard the sound of running feet. I just ignored it, thinking it was only some children up for an early get away. As I finished with the eggs, I headed home to start making breakfast for Mom and Jamie. I couldn't help thinking of how pretty it is in Tiklan during the summer.

Again I heard the sound of feet behind me. I quickened my pace a bit, not wanting trouble. I was almost to the door of the sleeping house when a hand suddenly grabbed me by the waist. I yelped but not loud enough for some one to come to my aid. My mouth was now covered and I was being carried away. Blood was rushing in my ears and fear was pounding in my heart. I struggled to no avail for the arms around me were like iron. My house was almost out of view when I was turned away from the little cottage that I had lived in my whole life.

We were headed to a group of horses with huge men atop them. In all, there were seven men. Four of them looked down at me is disgust while the other two just looked bored. I had no idea how the one holding me felt about this but I was still terrified. I was dropped before them and tied with a rough piece of rope that scratched my skin. Tears were starting to pour down my face as I watched the men talking. I could not hear anything with the blood still rushing through my ears. I looked down at myself and saw egg yolk on my dress. I must have dropped my basket in my surprise and terror. Then I started thinking of my family and the real sobs came. What if I never see them again? I'm starting to get hysterical but my hearing has come back.

"Its a three days ride, lets just camp in the clearing for tonight. The towns people won't bother us. We're guards, they want nothing to do with us."

"Your exhaustion is blinding you. If they see her, there will be talk and the king wants no more talk then there already is."

"Why does the king care so much if the border villages talk? No one will really believe them, they live in there own world with practically no connection to the kingdom. Why would anyone think that the king is really taking people from them?"

"We will not risk it!" with that, the guard that seemed to be in charge walk back to his horse and commanded them to ride ahead.

The guard that had been arguing just sighed in exhaustion and turned to me. I must have still looked terrified because he gave me a small smile before turning hard again and roughly picking me up. No one spoke a word of where we were going and I was to afraid to make a noise.

Everything was happening so fast! Just a moment ago I was doing my morning chores and planing a big breakfast and now I was being held hostage by my own kings guards.

I was put on a horse with another guard that held me stiffly. When I finally got the nerve to look around, I saw that I was not the only hostage here. A girl that looked about my age was sitting on a horse alone with her eyes down cast. Her hands twitched like they wanted to grab the horses reins and run for it but something was holding her back. I looked the other way and saw a boy that looked a lot like the girl but younger, sitting on a log with his arms wrapped around him.

I wanted very much to go and comfort him but there was no chance of that with the guard behind me and my hands tied. The guards looked like they were picking up their camp site as quickly as possible. With the little time I seemed to have, I examined the guard in charge. He was an older man with grayish hair that shone in the sun rise. He had the normal guards uniform with a pin that had the kings seal on it. When I looked at the other guards, they were without the pin. That must be what marks him as higher rank. He caught me staring and glared back with a hard face. I glanced away but not before noticing the very large sword at his side. The sword reminded me of the blacksmith in our village and I began to tremble.

When all was put away onto the horses, the guard in charge commanded for the journey to start. I had to get to the other captives before we reach the kingdom. I must at least know what is happening to me before its to late for my fate to be changed.