Meeting Papi

"Papi, please," you argue as your father continues to ignore you to watch the game. He gave a long sigh and turned to face you, "mija, he's not a very charming person. He's nearly ten years older and frankly he's a smartass and I don't like it."
"Well I love it, and I love him. Can't you at least make an effort?"
"Fine, for you, I will."
You hug him tight, "gracias, papi!"
When Rafael arrives for dinner, he's a lot more casual than usual, a white button down with the sleeves rolled up and some jeans.
"You look so handsome," you beam at him, pulling him into a long kiss.
"Hey, knock it off," he pulled back chuckling. "I'm supposed to be impressing your father, not defiling his daughter in front of him."
You nod, "right, you can defile me later." You wink and head to the kitchen. It had been nearly six months since you had started dating and Rafael had avoided your father like the plague for the most part. You couldn't exactly blame him, a retired war veteran with a bad attitude and only one daughter had to be a scary thought.
"He's here!" You call to your father, "don't you dare be mean to him," you whisper harshly.
"Sir," Rafael shakes your father's hand.
"You need a stronger grip Barba, if you don't grip tighter, people sense weakness."
Rafael's eyes narrowed just slightly, "I didn't know we were in a competition sir."
The two men glared at each other for a long moment before you interrupted.
"Both of you stop. If you two ruin this dinner for me, I will kill you both!"
"Lo siento, Carino." Raf smiles at you apologetically and nods at your father. "You'll have to excuse me sir, I don't often have someone has honored as yourself shaking my hand. I supposed I was a little awestruck.
You knew Rafael didn't like kissing ass, but the fact that he was doing it for you made your stomach rush with butterflies.
Dinner is a nightmare, every time Rafael speaks up, your father shoots him down or insults him. You can tell that Rafael is quickly losing your patience and so are you.
"Have you ever been married before then?" Your father asks after a long and bitter silence.
"Excuse me, sir?"
"Well you're older, I assume she isn't your first serious relationship."
"She's the only one that matters," he was quick to snap back before standing. "Look, I have been taking your shit all night."
"Rafi," you plead, but you know there's no use, plus, your father deserves this.
"I am in love with your daughter," Raf states firmly. "And in about six months, maybe even sooner, I'm gonna come back and ask for your permission to marry her. So you can either accept that we're in love, and get ready for that day, or you can continue to reject me. Either way ends with her walking down the aisle to me."
Your cheeks heated at the words, he was already thinking of marriage? You liked that a lot...
Your father looked Rafael over before giving him a nod, "I'm never gonna like you."
"I'm not asking you to sir."
"But I will tolerate you for my daughters sake."
You and Raf both sign in relief. You squeeze his hand from under the table.
"You wanna marry me?" You whisper to him, a giggly mess.
He nods, "since the day I met you, Cariño."