Chapter 25

The rain made small puddles on the track, the morning mist was starting to set in. I clipped on Prince's halter and walked him around the track. It was six am, that proves how much time I put into Prince.

"Prince."

He flicks his black ears up to listen.

"This is the track where legends are made. Where memories are kept."

I turn to face him.

"But most importantly where champions are born."

We continue to walk, a light drizzle comes down.

"You can run how you like Prince, but you are running a race for you. No one else can stop you. Run fast and strong, and prove to them you are royal because I already know you are."

He nickers and we walk back to the barn. The grooms saddle him up and the training jockey hops on. Prince speeds through his warm up and breaks the track record, Brian grins.

"Wonderful horse you have there."

I recognize the voice immediately. I turn to face her.

"Thank you, Miss."

"Please, call me Scarlet."

Brian mutters snake under his breath, Scarlet does not seem to show she heard, or care if she did.

"Tell me, have you seen GoodHeart run?"

"No, I have not."

"Well, you are in for a surprise, because she is going to beat every horse on the track."

My blood boils and I keep a calm face.

"Including your little toy colt."

I open my mouth to say something but Brian beats me to it.

"I think it's time you should leave Miss."

Her face hardens but she quickly replaces it with her signature smirk.

"Good day Gentlemen."

We watch her leave, Prince is standing behind us, his ears are pinned and his eyes are trained on the back of her bright red dress.

"Good boy," I murmur stroking his neck.

He doesn't flinch and we walk back to the stable, I did not know what he was thinking, but one word kept running through my mind.

Snake.

That night I put extra grooms on Prince's stall, Brian said she played dirty, I would not be a victim. I noticed other trainers doing the same and we all gave each other a knowing look, tonight we just wanted all of our horses to be safe.

"Your colt is amazing," A man said walking up behind me.

"Thank you."

"I am Paul Hill, owner of Flaming Flatwork."

"Sam Whitehall."

"Watch out for Scarlet. I have seen the results of her meddling."

"I will."

We shook hands and Paul went back to check on Flame. GoodHeart peers over her stall door and Prince pins his ears back. She quickly ducks behind the door and eats her hay, but Prince does not change his expression. Ace nickers to him and Prince calms down enough to eat some hay. Tonight would be a long night, we took a taxi back to the hotel Brian was scribbling things in his note book and Teddy was playing games on his phone, my eyes were trained ahead on the road. The taxi driver turned and Brian tipped him. I sat on the edge of my bed Teddy in the bed next to me.

"What if Scarlet meddles with Prince, she choose to specifically meet us today during his practice run that could be a sign."

Teddy flips the channel not really hearing what I am saying.

"Teddy?!"

"You need to stop worrying he will be fine."

I grumble and pull out my phone.

"Hey, Liam it is Sam."

Teddy rolls his eyes and I shoo him off.

"Yeah, I would like an update on Prince."

"He is sleeping right now, sir."

"Ok, no one has tried to murder him?"

Liam laughs, "No sir, we have an eye on him."

"Thanks, Liam just a little paranoid Ya know?"

"Of course sir."

"Night Liam."

"Night Sir."

I end the call breathing a sigh of relief, tomorrow was important, tomorrow was the derby the biggest spotlight on Prince yet, and to say the least, I was nervous. I never thought I would do this again, not after King.

*Flash back*

I run my hand through my hair, Killomore could take this from King. the two colts had been battling through out the prep races and today was the day that one would be prosperous. King was calm, and I started to calm down, he would run this one no different than the last, I would still love him even if he lost. We walked with him in the parade to the gates. He calmly looked around and licked my hand I smiled he would be great. The horses were loaded in and we sat down. The bell sounded and I crept forward in my seat King raced ahead of his muscled pulsed with every movement, he quickly leads the pack coming around the corner the wire was approaching King left the group. The announcer was screaming into the microphone.

"10 lengths"

"13 lengths!"

"He has won the race! Came as King has won the Kentucky Derby!"

I jump up from my seat and hug Brian we walk down to the winner circle, the garland of roses is laid on King;s withers and the crowd cheers, King looks at me his eyes pouring into mine. I give him a smile and relax taking in his surroundings like it was the first time he ever saw them, he always seemed to not care about the attention, but now he seemed to bask in it. We take our picture and I kiss his nose, we walk back to the barn and I smile, we had done it King and I.

*End of Flashback*

==============================================================
Thoughts? Hello everyone I'm back with an another chapter. Tell me what you think with votes and comments.

~Luckypaws13