Judges Interview - RichardStaschy

What made you want to be a judge for this smackdown?

The truth is I would love to write a mystery/thriller smackdown but I know I don’t have the time to write in any contest at this moment. So I decided to help out and be a judge.

Have you had any prior experience with Smackdowns?

Yes, I was in the Horror Smackdown 1 and 3. The first horror smackdown was interesting but it was also sad, most of the players dropped off on the 3rd part of the contest. So the rounds were shortened by 2 games. I was on the final 3 and was eliminated to the final rounds. Although, I didn’t win the first Horror Smackdown I did have a few stories that went well with other readers; House by the Doll Cemetery was on the top 10 list for a few weeks. While I was playing the Horror Smackdown I tried the Historical fiction smackdown and made it to the second round, but I was overwhelmed by round 2 and it threw me off.

I judged the Horror Smackdown 2. I also help in setting up some of the pictures and quotes. I think it was also the best of the Horror Smackdowns because we were able to play all the games.

Then I played Horror Smackdown 3 (but that smackdown was cut short).

What do you think makes a good Smackdown?

The stories… :)

What do you want to see in the upcoming rounds?

Maybe something Hitchcock-ish…

What does Mystery/Thriller mean to you?

I think of it as a realistic horror, the killers are human. Although, not all Mystery/Thrillers do end in murder.

What is your favourite book/s of all time? Why?

Capricorn One by Bernard L Ross (I read the book 3 times) and Red Dragon by Thomas Harris (I read the book 2 times and incorporated parts of the book in my zombie horror HIM)