Chapter 7 - Shirt says Dear math should be Dear anybody solve your own problems

“So, Avery, what do you have planned for Wednesday night,” Nate asked with a sly grin.

“No, no, no. You have got to be joking. I’m not a field agent by any definition of those words and I’m sure whatever charity is running the event is against my religion. If you need someone to go with you take Carl or Liz,” I told him, knowing that there was a good chance I was wasting my breath.

“Come on. It won't be that bad, just a little background sleuthing, besides Carl isn’t my type, sorry Carl.” He gave Carl an apologetic look, which I wouldn’t have bought. “And I enjoy spending time with you over Liz.”

“That’s just because you haven’t spent any time with her outside work. Why don’t you try going out with her in the next few days. You might find her better suited for this kind of event,” I said, pleading with my eyes that he rethought whatever plan he’d come up with.

“Nope, my mind’s made up, you’re going. Your tracing connected to this man, aren’t you curious what he looks like?” Nate really didn’t know me well if he thought that was any kind of enticement for me.

“No, I do this stuff all the time and I’ve never cared to find out what someone looks like.”

Nate missed every signal that screamed I hated being around people. A charity event was bound to be loaded with people way above my social class. My class was pretty much down with the rats in the sewers, at least that’s where I’d preferred to hang out.

After thinking for a second, Carl kindly piped in. I’d almost forgotten he was just sitting there listening to what we had to say. Upon hearing someone wanting me to go to a ball, any bit of sense I had flew right out the window.

“Wait a second guys, your conversation sounds like you’ve spent more time together then I’ve witnessed. Nate, you only talk to me and Liz while we’re here. When did you guys spend quality time together?”

There was no way I was going to provide anything to clarify his confusion, and the sooner I could leave the office, the better. I gathered my phone and bag and headed out the door. As far as I saw it, it was Nate’s mess to clean up, and I really didn’t care what excuse he ended up giving.

I probably shouldn’t have trusted him to not say something stupid, but it was just Carl, so eventually I could set him straight after Nate left. Of course that moment couldn’t come soon enough.

Jogging to the train station, I hopped on and waited for it to take me home. It wasn’t fast enough for me, but eventually I made it to my apartment in one piece.

I immediately changed into sweats, put in my headphones and scrubbed the house from ceiling to floor, listening to my take-no-crap playlist. It was one of the ways I liked to wind down and ease my stress. My other solutions were violent and I was trying to use those as little as possible.

Most people didn’t enjoy the pine scent of all-purpose cleaner the way I did, but for some reason it always made me feel better. There were a lot of things wrong with me, but I didn’t think people usually judged me on that one.

After an hour and a half, and having nothing else to clean, I decided a nice bubble bath was in order. While the water ran, I checked messages and saw three texts from Nate. Just reading the first one got me fired up. The fact that he thought it necessary to text me three times in the first place didn’t help.

Hey Avery, don’t worry. I’ve set Carl straight. I know you didn’t want anyone to know about our love child yet, but he seemed really happy for us. Call when you get a chance. – Nate

He clearly wasn’t a comedian. I found absolutely nothing funny about what he’d said. If that rumor ever got out, I’d barricade myself in my apartment and have delivery guys just leave food outside my door.