His Chance

• Dedicated to Jason B

Hey guys! Ok so this is my first story... Wish me luck! :)

Also, this is just the prologue… Please let me know if I should continue with it please! J

*+Sorry for any spelling mistakes!+*

Kacie's POV

I woke up with a start. I smelled smoke all around me. I sat up in my bed and looked around. My room was on fire!!! Panicking I got up and ran to my door. I tried to turn the knob but it was too hot and scorched my hand. I screamed. I ran back over to my bed and grabbed a blanket. I covered up the door knob and tried to turn it. I finally got it to turn and sprinted out to the hallway. I ran downstairs and immediately regretted it as the smoke from the fire smacked me like a brick. I was trying to get out the back door when a flaming beam from my roof hit me in the head. I fell and stared up at the ceiling. I started to hyperventilate. I couldn't breathe. That was my only thought as I started to slip away. I was just about to go unconscious when I felt strong arms wrap around me and pick me up. The arms carried me and I felt the fresh air hit me like a wave. I gasped in the air like it was lifesaving water in the desert. The last thing I heard before slipping into blackness was my name being shouted by my next door neighbor.

Josh’s POV

Oh god! What was I going to do! My best friend was just taken out of her flaming house! I shouted her name just as she passed out. Kacie was a tough fighter but half of her body was charred and she was probably not going to make it.

Josh! Stop thinking about that! I mentally screamed at myself. If Kacie died then who would be there for me when my dad beat my mom? Who would let me spend the night at their house to get rid of the nightmares I had? Who would sit next to me at lunch so I wouldn’t be alone? Who would stand up for me when I was bullied? Kacie has been my best friend since she moved here when we were like 6! If she died then I would be all alone!

Goddammit Josh! Stop thinking that!!

“Can I please ride in the ambulance with her?” I asked the paramedics.

“Sure” they said. I got into the ambulance and silently prayed for her to be okay. I wanted to go into her medical room when we arrived but the doctors wouldn’t let me. Fucking stuck up paramedics! She was my best friend for God’s sake! But, I guess I should just listen and let them work on her. I sat down in one of the waiting chairs and rested my head in my hands.

I bet her parents started the fire. They never liked Kacie. In fact they didn’t even name her! Her aunt did! They never cared for her. She was an unexpected baby and they didn’t want anything to do with her. She practically raised herself! Her parents probably won’t even come to the hospital! Her parents would totally start their house on fire so they can just get rid of her forever! God! They should just go fall down a well and die by being stabbed with giant forks! Gosh I have a psychotic mind! I should really work on that! I’m really tired right now! But I can’t fall asleep! I need to be the first one Kacie wakes up to! I wonder how long I’ve been waiting! I checked the clock. Dang! It’s been like two hours! I hope Kacie is…

My thoughts were interrupted by a doctor asking who was here for Kacie Simmons. I stood and followed him to her new room. I found her lying down in a hospital robe and wondered if she was awake. I asked the doctor if she was and he said, “No. She is in a coma from the blood loss. We are doing all we can to keep her with us, but she is in God's hands now..” I nodded my head yes and pulled up a chair next t her bed and grabbed her hand. I saw Kacie smile slightly in her sleep and I felt a deep sense of protection for her. It was kind of like an older brother protection feeling. I felt my eyelids droop and I realized that the only reason I was awake was because of the adrenaline. Now that its gone, I feel like a zombie. I gave in to a restless sleep and hoped with all my heart that Kacie would be ok.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

*** Please let me know if I should continue it!!!  Remember… It is my first story so please don’t be too harsh!