Chapter 1- A What? A Scholarship?

"Today's the big day!" exclaims my dance coach, Coach Wilson.

My dance team is going to go participate in the biggest dance competition of the year. It is held in Melbourne, Australia at a big fancy venue with multiple stages. The grand prize will go to the best overall performance at that year's competition. I am so excited to be able to be in this competition. I am going to be performing with my team, and also a solo piece.

"Good morning, Jasmine," said my best friend and dance partner Harry Clay.

Harry and I have been friends ever since we were babies. Our parents are really good friends, so we basically grew up together. We are inseparable, and we spend a lot of time together because of dance. He is my dance partner when we perform duos.

"Good morning," I reply back.

The whole dance team is sitting in the lobby waiting for the team bus to come pick us up, so we can go the competition. We just chatter among ourselves until the bus came.

"How are you feeling?" I ask as I take a seat next to my friend Eleanor.

"Nervous," she replies.

"Me too," I say.

I take the window seat and put in my headphones to focus on the competition ahead. There is quiet chatter on the bus, but I ignore it.

Once we get to the competition we check in for our assigned performances. Today I was going to be performing in the big group and a solo piece. I know hundreds of people are going to perform a solo piece, so I was nervous.

I look at the schedule and see that the group competition is going to be first, and then I will perform my solo piece. The girl groups are going first, then the boy groups, then the co-ed groups, then the duos and trios, and finally the solos.

We get to the venue just as the last of the girl groups are finishing. They all seem really talented, adding to my anxiety.

"Ready to go kill it?" my teammate Maya asks.

"As prepared as I can be," I reply.

"I'm sure we'll do well," she says.

Our team starts to warm up after we get in our costumes and makeup as they are in the middle of the boy groups. We were going near the beginning of the co-ed groups.

We continue to warm up as they get done with the boy groups. There is a 10 minute break between groups at this competition.

Our team gathers in a circle for a pep talk we always have at the start of every competition.

"Ok, I know that you guys can do this with all of the practices we have had," says Coach Wilson. "Some of you might be nervous, but shake it off and remember what we have practiced," continues Coach. "I know that you are all going to do very well, and I believe in all of you," finishes Coach Wilson.

After that encouraging speech, all 12 members of our studio file onto the stage and take our positions. We are dancing to an upbeat song, so I know I have to start with a lot of energy.

We were all out of breath after our performance, but we gracefully walk back down the stage and into our assigned room.

"That was really great!" exclaims Coach Wilson. "There were some things that we could improve on, but overall that was amazing!" Coach Wilson.

"Great job out there," says Liam as he pats me on the back.

"Thanks, you too," I reply back.

I have to get focused on my next performance, which is the solo piece. Some of my teammates will be performing duos and trios, but I am the only one who is performing a solo.