Chapter 21

“So, how are we feeling today, Catherine?” Dr. Weiss asked me, shutting the door to the exam room.  Kerry had called the doctors office last night, and the only time I could get in was today at noon.

“Not great.” I said.

“What’s the matter?” He asked, genuinely concerned.

“I’ve been exhausted, and no matter how much I sleep, it never goes away. I’ve had a headache off and on since yesterday, and I’ve been getting these pains in my legs randomly.” I said

“She also had a fever yesterday, which broke last night, but she had one when she woke up this morning.” Kerry added.

“Okay, well I’m going to take some blood and we’ll get the results back to you in about a half hour to an hour.” Dr. Weiss said, feeling under my jawbone, and then he frowned.

“What do you think it is?” I asked anxiously.

“I’m not sure, and I don’t want to worry you.” He said and left the room.  I looked at Kerry in alarm, and she just smiled reassuringly.

“I’m sure everything is alright.” She said, and a nurse came into the room and got me ready to take blood.  I winced when she stuck the needle in my arm, and a few minutes later she was done.

****

“I have your results, Catherine.” Dr. Weiss said, a hint of sadness lacing his words.

“I’m fine, right? It’s just the flu, or something….right?” I asked.

“I wish it were.” He said. “I’m sorry, you have cancer…now, I’m going to refer you to an Oncologist, and he’s one of the best in the country” He said, but I didn’t hear anything after ‘you have cancer’.

“Catherine? Sweetie?” Kerry asked gently.  I just sat on the table, not knowing what to do. “Adam? Can we have a minute please?”

“Of course.  I’ll be right outside if you need me.” He said, stepping out of the room.

“Catherine…it’s going to be okay.  I know it’s scary, but you can get through this.” Kerry said, sitting next to me on the table.

“I-I I think he’s wrong.  I don’t get sick. He’s wrong.” I said, still not looking at her. 

“Catherine…would you like to ask the doctor some questions?”

“Yes.” I whispered and Kerry left the room, and then came back in a minute later.

“Hello.” Dr. Weiss said, coming into the room. “You have questions?”

“A-are you sure that i-it’s cancer?” I asked.

“Unfortunately, yes.  I had them run it three times.”

“What—um k-kind is it?” I asked, still trying not to cry.

“You have Acute Myeloid Leukemia, and fortunately, there is a 70-80% survival rate.” He said and I felt slightly relieved.  “Kerry, when you call the number I gave you, tell him that Adam Weiss referred you.”  He said

“Thank you.” She said, standing up.  “Catherine? Are you ready?” Kerry asked.  I nodded and got up.

“Can you not, uh, tell anyone but Ryan? I don’t want them to know yet.” I asked and she nodded.

****

“How did it go?” Aiden asked when we walked in the house.  Ryan was sitting on a chair and reading a newspaper; he glanced at me over the top of the paper and shot me a look of sympathy.  I shook my head slightly, I didn’t want sympathy. “Well…how did it go?” Aiden asked again.

“It was okay…uh, I’m sick.” I said, going upstairs and collapsing on my bed.

“Hey…is everything okay?” Logan asked, coming into my room and sitting on my bed.

“No. it isn’t.”

“What happened? You can tell me.” He said, sounding concerned. I looked at him and started crying and he pulled me into a hug. “Hey, hey. What happened?”

“Why is she crying?” Aiden asked, coming into my room. “What did you do to her?”

“I didn’t do anything to her!” Logan exclaimed.

“Logan…why is she crying?” Levi asked, coming into the room with Owen and Evan.

“I didn’t do anything!” He exclaimed.  I stopped crying, sat up and wiped my eyes.

“What happened?” Aiden asked gently.

“I-I have c-cancer.  Leukemia.” I said and looked down at my hands.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello! Please vote and comment.  That is all.