Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

The next day, Stella woke up to knocking on her door. She opened her eyes and found herself on the cold, tile floor in the bathroom, a few feet away from the toilet.

She had a putrid taste in her mouth, and her body felt as though she had been hit by a truck, or as if she was about to get the flu. She was still dressed in her Lanvin, and it was wrinkled and crumpled from a night of sleeping in it, and parts of her body felt sticky, and she couldn't figure out why.

She pushed herself into a sitting position, and hoped that the people knocking would go away, so she wouldn't have to get up and open the door.

She groaned and rubbed her eyes, and brought a large smudge of makeup off with it. Stella looked out of the bathroom door, where she could clearly see the comfortable bed that she should have been sleeping on, and wondered if it would be worth it to use her energy to get up and climb into bed and sleep the day away.

The knocking on the door continued, this time louder and more persistent, and she could hear the other person on the side of the door calling her name. It sounded like Kate.

Stella stood up, then slowly made her way to the front door of her hotel room. She looked through the peephole and saw Kate and Hazel, then quickly unlocked and opened the door.

Her friends took one look at her and bust out laughing, which caused Stella to flinch.

"Could you keep it down? My head is killing me."

The two girls entered the room and took a seat somewhere in the room, Kate on the bed, Hazel on one of the armchairs in the sitting area. Stella couldn't help but notice that they looked perfect, with no signs that they had drank as much alcohol as she had the night before.

Hazel stared at Stella, a look of amusement on her face. Her friend looked miserable. "You gonna get ready so you don't miss your first day working for O'Leary, or what?"

Stella had nearly forgotten.

"Oh my God," she shouted as she practically ran into the bathroom.

She immediately turned on the tub's faucet and waited for it to fill up, then she turned to the mirror and began wiping her makeup off with a towel.

Her dark lipstick was smudged all over her face, and her eyeshadow and eyeliner had smudged so much, that it caused her to look like a human-raccoon hybrid.

She cursed herself mentally for not removing her makeup the night before, but couldn't remember how she had even gotten home, or when. The only thing she remembered from the night before, was waking up and emptying her stomach's contents in the toilet.

"What happened last night?" Stella called out from the bathroom. "I feel like I've been hit by a truck."

"You really sucked down those drinks," Kate replied.

"Yeah, you were pretty zozzled."

"But how many drinks did I have?"

Kate poked her head into the bathroom, while Stella continued to scrub at her face. The lipstick was refusing to come off, and had left a red tint around her mouth, and on her chin.

"Hazel and I drank more than you, but we drink more often than you do. You're a bit of a lightweight, Stel'," Kate said with a wink.

"Okay, but how did I get home?"

Stella tossed the towel onto the floor, where the rest of her dirty towels were, and gave up on removing her makeup. She hoped it would come off in the bath.