Chapter Five

Chapter Five

"What do you think about this one?"

Kate, Hazel, and Stella stood in the middle of the women's department at Macy's, and Kate held up a silver evening gown with intricate beading. After a 'dry spell,' as Kate had put it, she finally had a date scheduled for the following Saturday. It was only Monday, but Kate wanted to get a head start to find the perfect outfit.

"I love it," Hazel breathed as she ran her hands over the fabric. She took a look at the price tag and grimaced, then nodded over to the clearance rack, which held all of the winter inventory that the store was looking to get rid of. "Maybe we should look over there instead."

Kate shook her head, then draped the dress over her arm to add to the stack of things to try on.

"He said he'd be paying for everything I needed." Kate patted the red purse that dangled from her arm, a smug smile on her face.

Stella had been going through a rack of dresses, trying to find something that was worthy for Kate to wear on her date, but stopped and looked at her in disbelief.

"And who exactly are seeing Saturday? They'll pay for everything?"

"He works with Mr. Moretti. His name is Peter and he's been asking me out for ages," she said with an eye roll. "Finally, I gave in and said yes, which obviously brings us here. I complained about not having anything to wear on the date, and he offered to pay."

Kate pulled a red dress off of the rack, held it up, received a nod from Hazel, then added it to the pile of waiting dresses.

"You do know that he's going to want something in return," Hazel warned. She looked extremely uncomfortable in the store, likely because of the expensive prices.

One of the store clerks approached the girls and retrieved the dresses from Kate to put into a dressing room, and gave Hazel, who was hiding behind Stella, an odd look.

Stella turned and gave her a questioning look, but Hazel simply shrugged, her face red. They turned their attention back to Kate, who had moved onto another rack.

"Of course I know he expects something in return, and I don't care. I'm a modern woman, after all."

Stella chuckled at the comment, which earned her a glare from Kate, but Stella simply smiled in return.

After doing a second trip around the entire floor, Kate finally decided to go and try the dresses on. Hazel and Stella waited outside the room in chairs, ready for Kate's fashion show. While they waited for the first dress, Stella turned to Hazel.

"Why did you hide behind me when the store clerk came around?"

Hazel fiddled with the ring around her pointer finger, but wouldn't look Stella in the eye.

"I'm just shy is all," she replied quickly.

Stella gave her a look of disbelief. "Try again."

Hazel sighed, her cheeks flushing red. "I got banned from the store," she said quickly, her words slurring together.

"You what?" Stella echoed with Kate, as she stepped out of the dressing room dressed in a red sequined frock.

"Ooh, I like that one, Kate. I don't think you need to try anything else on," Hazel said, as if she hadn't been embarrassed a few seconds earlier.

"Thank you," Kate replied. She looked at herself in the full-length mirrors by Stella and Hazel, did a twirl, then looked pointedly at Hazel.

"Don't change the subject."