Elsie

I smirked as I saw my tiny sister run away. She had tried to be tough, but I knew that she was about to cry. I retreated to my room sighing. The guilt of what I had done to my own father sinking in once again. I looked at myself in the mirror, disliking what I saw. I turned to the side, debating whether or not the bulge from my stomach was noticeable. I prayed It wasn't as I got ready for bed. 

Jenny hates you now. Father would hate you if he knew what you'd done. He'd hate you and your child. He'd hate you for poisoning him. Along with most of the town, Father was a traditionalist; he believed no children till marriage. He'd disown me if he'd known what I'd done, leaving me and my baby to die on the streets. No one here would give money to a single mother who isn't a widow. 

The worst part? Jenny and I used to be the best of friends, but one day she got curious and followed me to the House of Hecate, a potions shop which sold poisons among other things. She didn't know what I was doing till the doctor came. She was understandably furious and heartbroken. The joyful little Jenny I had once known became consumed by rage and revenge. She had to go with father; I couldn't risk her telling everyone that I had killed father.

This is the only way. You're doing what's best. You need the money. I told myself calmly as I crawled under the covers of my bed, tears slipping down my cheeks. 

------------

The next morning, I groggily got myself ready for the day. Once dressed, I went back over to the wardrobe, opening the carved wooden doors. I pulled out a wooden box that was hidden behind the clothes. I carefully carried it over to the bed, and, after placing the box on the bedside table, I sat on the mattress. After opening the box, I removed the first jewelry filled tray, reveling the bottom of the velvet-lined box.

Taking the cork out of the unlabeled black bottle, I turned it sideways, watching the murky liquid pour into a vial I had in my other hand. When the vial was almost full, I corked the black container and set it back in the box. I grabbed an extra cork in the box and used it to seal the vial I was holding. I set the now full vial on my bed and then put the jewelry back in the box before returning it back to its hiding spot. 

Clutching the vial, I left the comfort of my room. Snores came from Father's room and echoed down the hall. I ambled towards the dinning hall, trying to calm my shaking hands.

When I got there two cups of tea were set out, one for me and one for my sister. I sat in my normal spot and quickly looked around. The servants had the weekend off, so Jenny cooked on the weekends. Not seeing anyone in the room, I quickly poured the vial's contents into my sister's tea cup. The dark liquids were the same color and the poison had a bitter taste that matched the tea. Jenny wouldn't notice what had happened till it was too late. 

A minute later, Jenny came back out with many different foods pilled onto two separate plates. Some were leftovers from yesterday's breakfast, while some had clearly had been cooked today. 

She handed me my plate and I excused myself to go eat in my room. I walked down the hall, holding the empty vial, my plate, and my tea. Tears slowly dripped down my cheeks once again. It'll be over soon.This is what has to be done.