The rise of chaos

Vulcan dove behind another section of wall. Bullets flew past where he had been seconds before.

“Curse them,” he grunted while looking at his leg. Two small holes were visible through his darkly coloured cargo pants, blood trickling out steadily, “ouch,” he groaned, “that cannot be good,”

Nearby Tornado slammed into a section of the wall just further down, one of the few sections of their front wall that hadn’t been torn open by their attacker’s zealous shooting.

The gunfire started up again to Vulcan’s right, just after he heard the sound of booted feet running across the floor.

“Someone has their attention” he called over to Tornado who responded with a thumbs up.

Vulcan’s phone buzzed in his pocket, he struggled to get it out of the pocket while the metal ringtone continued to get louder. After a few annoying seconds Vulcan managed to pry his phone free, he opened it quickly.

“Of all the times Ripple, you choose to ask me now!” Vulcan sighs, “Perfect”; he opened the text wondering what she could possibly want.

“Vulcan, hold ur hand up with a thumbs up if u want me to hit them with all my pool water. P.S. Are they in position yet??”

“Great grammar,” Vulcan muttered, he peered around the broken wall slightly. He could see the attackers, kneeling in the middle of the street, weapons raised. One of them spotted him and without a word five guns leveled on him. Vulcan dived back behind cover as the bullets slammed into the wall.

“Are they psychic or something?” Tornado asked.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if they were,” Vulcan grunted as a bullet smashed through the wall just to the left of his head. He cringed and gave Ripple the thumbs out she had asked for. One of the assailants must have spotted the movement because once again bullets slammed into the stone wall.

From within the depths of the house there was a massive rumble, the floor shook and a plate fell from the badly torn up table nearby.

Vulcan realised that she had actually meant all the pool water, and she had an Olympic sized swimming pool in her room!

“Everyone, hang onto something!” Vulcan roared just before the wave of water emerged from down the hallway. The water rushed into what remained of the dining room and slammed into the wall, the water however, only gently touched Vulcan and the other Heirs taking cover behind it. Vulcan spotted a flash of purple go over the wall next to him, Ripple.

“Let’s go everyone!” Shade called from somewhere in the living room.

“Yeah, come on, let’s finish this!” Vulcan roared and he jumped to his feet, flames coming to life in his hands. He kicked down a weakened section of the wall next to him and ran through. In his field of vision he could see Tornado leaping high up into the air.

As Vulcan charged across the wet grass the wave hit the attackers who had turned and fled at sight of it. They lay sprawled all over the other side of the street, Ripple was in the middle, attacking the few who were still standing. The water had taken on the shape of a dark hurricane in the low light and Vulcan could only just see her purple hair in the light cast by a nearby street light.

He stopped focusing on Ripple and shifted to face one of the men who had managed to regain his feet. He was recovering quickly and Vulcan decided it was either take him down now or face the consequences later. Consequences that just so happened to be made of lead.

The man saw him coming and drew a wicked looking knife from somewhere in his combat suit. The blade was painted black and only the very edge of the blade glinted in the light made by Vulcan’s flames.

“Bring it,” Vulcan grunted.

Bolt’s body quivered as he leapt over the wall. Vulcan barreled towards the bad guys ahead of him. He quickly gave Tornado a thumbs up as the Heir took to the sky. Bolt stopped and cracked his knuckles and then his neck. The others continued their headlong charge. While he stood there, grinning from ear to ear.

“Fun!” He shouted, suddenly the air around him was filled with electricity which danced through the air and through his body. Bolt surged forwards and closed his eyes, he jumped and with a power he barely understood he leapt from just in front of the house to right in front of a dazed bad guy. It was over in a flash, and the man fell over backwards.

Bolt’s breathing had sped up a little bit from the exertion, regardless of this his body lit up with electricity again and he sent a bolt of lightning cracking into the man.

He writhed around on the ground for a bit but then he stopped moving all together, “weird time to sleep isn’t it?” Bolt asked himself. He shrugged and turned around.

A man armed with a knife dived out of nowhere towards him, Bolt was stunned and the blade dug into his chest, and Bolt cried out in shock. The man pushed the blade in deeper causing the young Heir to stumble backwards over the man he had zapped before. Bolt fell backwards over the man and as his vision began to darken he saw shadows snaking up towards the man’s neck, the man struggling as they closed in for the kill.

Kill, was he dead? Bolt wondered what death was going to be like, then he hit the floor and darkness consumed him.