Chapter 24

Emma's POV

I wake up holding a pillow. My other pillows are strewn across the floor as if I threw them in the middle of the night.

I don't remember falling asleep. All I remember is feeling the heaviness in my eyelids finally shut my eyes. Then it was dark.

It's funny how when people fall asleep they just close their eyes and then they stay shut. It's kind of like when you die. No matter how you die. You close your eyes and then they don't open again, ever. The only difference is that one is temporary and one is permanent.

I get out of bed and walk to my bathroom. Diverting my eyes away from the mirror, I open my cabinet slowly and there is the two things that break my heart to see. Paige's blades and my picture. I stare at them and before I realize it I see my arm reaching for the blades. I stare at my hand like it's not attached to me. My hand is about to grasp the blades when I fall back ward. NO! NO! NO! My head screams with pain as my mind fights my body. My hands reach out, but my mind pulls them back.

I quickly reach in and grab the picture, closing the cabinet swiftly. I stand up and walk back to my picture wall. I take the picture out of the frame and hold gently like a snowflake or a baby.

I look up at my wall and grab a picture from the middle. I shuffle it over a little bit, before tacking my only memory of them on the wall. I cover my mouth as I stare at how it blends in. No one will see it unless they look for it. It will be my reminder of them. No one else's.

I sit down in front of my picture wall and let my eyes roam over every picture. I dissect every detail trying to remember all of them.

I stare and all the memories start playing out in my mind. I see them in my mind. My brain acting out what happened each of the times we took a picture.

I see laughing. I see tears. I see my friends.

I eventually get up after my stomach reminds me I need to eat or I will die. Honestly I could just not eat, but I can't add any more pain to the pain that's already there.

I walk out of my room slowly and quietly, dragging my feet. I feel like a zombie. I trudge down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Kalani and Samoa come up and scratch at my legs, but I don't feel it. They're numb. I get a bowl of cereal and walk into the backyard.

I sit right in the middle of the grass and eat my food slowly, twirling the spoon around, chasing the very last pieces.

I place it next to me after I finish and lay down in the grass with my hands behind my head.

I don't bother looking at the clouds. I just stare straight up falling back into the trance I have been in since yesterday. I hear things around me, but I don't react. I just stare.

Sam's POV

I walk downstairs when I wake up. McKenzie is still asleep, but I don't wake her as I climb down the stairs. I look outside and see Emma laying in the grass with her hands behind her head. I see the cereal bowl and feel a little bit of relief. At least she's eating. I walk the rest of the way to her petting Samoa as Kalani runs ahead. Those dogs are always together.

"Emma", I say cautiously. She doesn't respond or even move at my words. I walk closer to her and lay down on my side right next to her. She doesn't move a muscle. "Emma, please just talk to me", I plead and she moves her head to look into my eyes. I look at her memorizing every freckle and every angle of her cut and bruised face. "Hey", I say quietly.

"Hi", she says. Her voice is hoarse and I smile a little. She does too, but it's not her smile. This smile doesn't reach her eyes.

"Whatcha doing", I say twisting a piece of her hair between my fingers.

"Just staring at the sky", she says moving her head back, so that she is looking at the sun. I tilt her head back so I can see her eyes.

"I love you Emma", I say and she nods.

"I love you Sam." This time, when she smiles it spreads to her eyes. I pull her to me and we just lay there looking at the sky.

"Lets go inside", I say plucking her out of the grass. She leans her head on my chest and I inwardly smile as she plays with her fingers before placing one on her stomach and the other reaching up to wrap it around my neck. I prop her up and she hugs me again. I hug her back and we sit down on the couch. I turn on Law & Order and she grabs the remote with wide eyes and changes it to Nick. I mentally slap myself and then put my arm around her.

"Emma", McKenzie says quietly behind us and I turn to look as she vaults over the couch and wraps Emma in bear hug. Emma flinches, but Kenzie doesn't let go. Emma starts to giggle and I look at McKenzie with wide eyes.

I hug Emma from the other side and we just sit there. We all pull away and Emma leans back on McKenzie. Kenz wraps her arms around her from the back and moves Emma in between her legs. They just lay there watching Nick, Emma in front of McKenzie. I take my phone out and snap a picture without them noticing and quickly post it to Twitter.

Awhile later Jc and Jenn come down and Jen flips when she sees Emma. She runs over and practically jumps on Emma hugging her tight. Emma giggles again and Jc looks at me. I just smile and he smiles looking back at Jen and Emma.

"I thought I heard a little giggle", Andrea screams." Emma's up!"

Lauren and Rebecca come shooting out of Connor and Ricky's rooms.

They sprint down the stairs and jump over the back of the couch and all the girls wrap Emma in hugs. Connor and Ricky come out of their rooms rubbing their eyes followed by Trevor. They all perk up when they see Emma.

"Can you call the girls please", Emma asks in a small voice.

"Of course", Andrea screams and everyone laughs. Emma looks at me and I nod. She smiles and then leans back into McKenzie.