Chapter 2

Scooter and Grey made it to school. Time to start a new day, Scooter thought. She parked her truck in her designated spot in the student parking and cut off the car. Grey got out of the truck, grabbed her bag, and walked into the building to catch breakfast before it ended. Scooter grabbed her satchel and walked to her boyfriend Chance's car. His 2005 Ford Mustang was parked 6 parking spaces down from her, with the engine still running. Scooter can hear the base walking towards the car, playing Lil Boosie. She walked to the car, opened the door, and got in.

"Hey, babe!" Scooter said, sounding excited. Chance turned his head in her direction and flashed his infamous smile. He leaned over to kiss Scooter on the lips. It was slow and passionate like he missed her badly.

"What's going on, baby?" Chance asked. He cut the music down.

"Nothing, I missed you. How was your vacation?" Scooter asked. Chance went to Tennessee to visit his grandmother for a few weeks. He just got back yesterday.

"It was dope... But it wasn't the same without you" He turned to Scooter with a sad face. His eyes sparkle in the sun as he fluttered his eyelids. Scooter shook her head and sat back, drifting into sleep.

"Baby, we need to be getting ready to go in," Chance said, shaking her. He reached back to get his book bag, cut the engine, and got out of the car. A few of his friends walked by and dapped him up. Scooter got out of the car and fixed her outfit. She looked down at her feet and wished that she just wore sandals instead of wedges. She looked over at Chance while he was talking to his best friend Isaac. Chance was tall, brown-skinned with a clean-shaven face and a low-cut haircut. He had a football body that made guys fear him. He was looking good in his straight-leg dark wash jeans. His Hollister graphic tee hugged his body right, and his reeboks looked fresh out of the box. The one thing that drew Scooter and Chance together was his body and his fearless attitude. He wasn't afraid to dress apart from the rest of the boys at his school, and his demeanor showed it.

She thought back to when he first noticed her. It was the first day of school for both of them, and they were starting the 7th grade. Scooter was walking with her friend Cara when she bumped into something. She fell hard on the floor. She looked up and saw him laughing hard.

"Oops, I'm sorry. Maybe if you watched where you were going next time, you wouldn't be on the floor." He said. Scooter got up and pushed him into the lockers. "Ooo, feisty one, I see. Must like what you see if you're pushing up on me," he boasted. Scooter smacked him and walked away. They eventually had more encounters which turned into harmless playing, and eventually, they were a couple.

"Baby?" Chance said, breaking Scooter from her thoughts. He had his hand. "Are you coming?"

"Yeah, babe," she said, smiling. She grabbed his hand and started walking towards the building.

"Are you a little tired?" He asked, concerned. Normally she was refreshed for the first day of school.

"Yea, I was up all night practicing my stunts for practice," Scooter answered. She didn't want to tell him that she was preparing for a karate match. If she told him, he would be all up in her face, pushing her to do the most. She wasn't having that.

"Well, you need to get some sleep later. Glad you don't have practice today," He said. He turned to her, kissed her on the lips, and said, "Peace in the middle east" before walking to class.

*****

By the end of the day, Scooter was ready to fall out. She had a rigorous course load this year, and she was not prepared for the road ahead of her. But what made it worse was the never-ending drama that happened today. What was different was Drama attended the same school as her. Jayla Michaels, A.K.A Queen Bitch. Her fascination with Scooter always irked her, from constant competition with clothes and hair to how much money her family had. She hated Scooter because she was naturally popular, not by bribing but by personality. Scooter never paid mind to Jayla and her jealous ways because they attended different schools, but now the constant competition was never-ending, thanks to this new school. Today, Jayla bragged about her new Escalade her dad bought her for her 16th birthday. She rubbed it in her face as if Scooter wasn't in the same social class as she was. She was happy that the coach didn't allow trash-talking and bragging during practice; Coach Mitchell saw right through Jayla. Scooter was excited about cheerleading; this was the only thing she and Mariposa could come to an understanding on. It was her freedom of expression, her voice being heard, her pride and joy besides fashion. She walked to the gym with her gym bag in hand to start tryout.