Chapter 1

"Scooter, if you don't get up, I will throw water on you. Now I'm not going to tell you again." Yell Mariposa from downstairs. She's been trying to get Scooter up for the past 20 minutes. Scooter woke up and looked at the time. It read 6:15. 

"Ugh, I hate going to school," she saSixteen-year-old old Channelle "Scooter" Brown was starting her junior year of high school. Most kids say they are excited as it is one step closer to adulthood, but Scooter dreaded it. She had everything going for her: popularity, a wonderful boyfriend, and great friends. But her life consisted of drama. All popular kids had issues in their life, and somehow, they followed Scooter everywhere she went. "I'm up, Butterfly," she yells. Sometimes, she just wanted to run away from home to avoid her.

Mariposa was Scooter's stepmother. Her dad got remarried when Scooter was eight years old. At the age of 6, Scooter experience divorce young. Her mom and dad moved from Philly to Charlotte when she was six to try and make their marriage work and live a better life. But they realized that they weren't compatible with each other. Instead of going through a messy divorce and pulling Scooter and her younger sister, Daynelle, into the mix, their parents thought it was best just to split them up. So Scooter lived with her dad, and Daynelle lived with her mom. When her dad, Tavin, introduced her to Mariposa, she was a little hurt. Nothing can compare to her mother. 

Mariposa was Tavin's cousin's best friend; basically, she grew up with him. They always had a thing, but it stopped when Tavin met Gina, Scooter's mom. Once Gina and Tavin divorced, Mariposa and Tavin reconnected, and the rest was history. Previously, Marisol was married and had 2 kids: Jason and Justin. But her ex-husband, Terrence, had a thing for other women. It didn't take Mariposa long to realize that Terrance didn't love her.

Scooter got out of bed and walked into the bathroom to get herself together. When she walked out, Mariposa was already in the bedroom, picking out her outfit for the day. Mariposa was beautiful, being mixed with Dominican and Black. She was 5'4" with honey-brown hair, a caramel complexion, and a slender body. You wouldn't think she was 43 years old. 

"I like you to wear this, please," said Mariposa. She looked like Scooter, with her eyes fixated on her hair. To anyone, Mariposa's hazel eyes were exotic, but to Scooter, it was demanding and strict. Scooter looked at the outfit, and in a sarcastic tone, she said, "No."

"And why not?" said Mariposa.

"Because not my style!" Scooter said. Scooter looked at Mariposa with anger in her eyes. Scooter was the same height as Mariposa but with a honey-brown complexion and dark brown hair. Mariposa was always trying to dress Scooter. She never had a chance to have another girl. When Tavin and Marisol got married, they had another child between them. They wanted a girl but ended up with a Tavin Jr., So Mariposa lives her life through Scooter. "Butter, this is seriously getting old. Don't you get tired of us going back and forth arguing about the way I dress?" said Scooter, trying not to start their daily arguments about how Mariposa thinks she should dress.

"Scooter, I'm just trying to help you out. I hate when you try to dress tacky every day." Replied Marisol.

"So you want me to continue looking like I can model for a Tommy Hilfiger catalog?" Scooter complain.

"Now, I don't want you to do that, but I do want you to dress with class." Mariposa pleaded. She kept staring at Scooter's hair. "Mariposa?! Stop looking at my hair; it's fine," Scooter yelled. Scooter was natural, and I love wearing her in curls. It meant she didn't have to do her hair. All she had to do was step in the shower, and her hair would easily curl up. 

"Why don't you wear your hair as a normal girl, straight and flowy?"Mariposa questioned. All Scooter could do was roll her eyes, ignore her stepmother, and walk to her closet to pick out her outfit for today. She settled on light-wash ripped jeans, an oversized shirt with "It was all a Dream" on it, and a nude vest. She paired it with gold accessories. Looking at her outfit, Mariposa cringed. "Well, since you're going to defy me again, come downstairs after you get dressed so you can eat," she said with an attitude and walked out of her room. Scooter smiled, knowing that she had won by making Mariposa mad.