1 - Rencontrer

____________

Chapter One

Rencontrer

(Meetings)

      My arms strained even firmer around my shaking body, as tight as a straightjacket. I cursed myself relentlessly for forgetting to grab a coat, a sweater, anything, on my way out of the house. My usually pale arms were stained purple and coated with goosebumps, and my breath billowed in staccato, white clouds.

          I shielded my mind from panicking by idly wondering what I'd look like with bits and pieces chopped off my face from frostbite, struggling to refrain from worrying - as I always did - about where I had wandered off to. I fantasized about escaping into one of the houses nearby, looking cruelly tempting with their lit windows beckoning me with promises of warmth, but no matter how much I wanted to get out of this cold, I knew this was a dangerous part of town, and the 'escape' would only land me into more trouble. 

        I had begun to wonder if I should just turn around and to back "home" when, out of nowhere, a light touch grasped my arm and spun me around. I involuntarily let out a little shriek of shock and jumped away from the man who was suddenly beside me. "Whoa, there!" He exlaimed, looking equally jarred. "Easy; I'm not going to hurt you." 

       'I'm sure,' I thought nervously, my body tensed. My mind won against my adrenaline, however, and I stood firmly in place. I ached to run, but I knew I could never escape that way. "What do you want?" I asked, relieved when my voice sounded carefree and diplomatic.  

  "I was wondering if you'd like to join me for a cup of coffee!" he replied, smiling easily. 

I all but gaped at him. "What?" I said skeptically, eyes wide.  

 He shrugged. "I know it sounds crazy, but I'm lonely, and you look like you're going to pass out from hypothermia any second now. So, what do you think?" 

     "I think I should probably avoid going somewhere with a stranger. Did mom always say not to talk to strangers?" I asked him.

      "...To be honest, I think mom might let this one slide, since the cafe is right there, so I don't think I'd be able to hurt you," he said sarcastically, a twinkle in his eye. 

     I cocked an eyebrow in thought when I saw, sure enough, a quaint-looking establishement right across the street. I shrugged and relented. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

       A few minutes later I found myself seated in the divinely warm café, sipping happily on my delicious moćha. I got a better look at the man who was being so kind to me. He seemed to be about my age, seventeen, with rumpled rich brown hair and dark green eyes. His features were masculine, but not harsh, and his build was attractively muscular. I couldn't help but marvel over how incredibly handsome he was.

          "Nice to see you smiling for once," he commented, winking, looking pleased.