Chapter 2

My dad and I haven't said a word to each other since we left our old house. After everything, we thought it would be better to move. It was difficult being in a house that used to be shared with members that are not here anymore. I guess we are just trying to run from our problems.

"Um, how was the last session with Dr. Rovota? She seemed like a nice lady. We will have to find another therapist like her down here." my dad says, quite awkwardly.

"Yeah, hopefully." I say agreeing with him. I don't want to upset him and tell him that therapy will do nothing for me. A shrink can't fix me, nobody can, but myself.

He sighs. I look over at him and ask, "what is it?"

"I don't get it" he says confused. "How can you hold up so good, with what has happened?" he asks.

"It is called acting dad, I'm quite good at it"

"Maybe I should sign you up for acting classes instead of boxing" he jokes.

I just smile over at him.

I took up boxing after "that day". I needed an escape, and I found it. It gave me a reason to leave the house. At first, my dad didn't like the idea, but then he thought it would be good, if I got to see humans.

"ah, Lauren, I think I am going to have to pull over to the nearest gas station, because I am lost" he says

"I told you to buy a GPS"

"I know, I know. Ah there is one at the next exit. With my luck, I will get lost trying to find the damn gas station"

I smile. He has always been bad with directions and finding out where to go.

When we reach the gas station it is deserted. It looks extremely old and abandoned. No one cared to take care if its appearance. It gives me a bad vibe.

"Pump the gas as I get directions" he says handing me the credit card.

I just do as he asks. I rub my eyes and open the car door. As I am pumping gas, a bunch of college aged, noisy guys pull up to the station next to my car. I just roll my eyes at them. I know their type.

When the tank is full, I go to put the pump back, and notice the guy filling up the car is staring at me. I wave annoyed. He continues to stare.

"Hey buddy its not polite to stare." I say. He is still staring. I don't think I have seen him blink once. "Whatever" I say rolling my eyes. After I am done paying, I realize that the fucker is still looking at me so I decide to flick him off, and get back in the car. It seems like hours before my dad hops in the car. Next stop, the new house.