Chapter Nine

I watched him walk out the door. This was all my mom’s fault I mean I’m kinda happy that she did walk in ‘cause I think he and I would have regretted doing something so rash and stupid like that. But she didn’t have to react so…like that! She knows that I’m gay she just can’t accept it.

I ran my fingers through my curls again. Shit, I forgot to do my hair. Kurt’s only ever seen me with my normal gelled style. It probably looked like a mop on my head. He didn’t seem to say anything though so maybe he secretly liked it? I dunno I’m probably just making that up so I can feel a bit better about myself.

Florence was still playing and as much as I loved her I couldn’t listen to her right now. I grabbed my iPod from the top of my drawers looking for something else to listen to.

When I get angry listening to a relevant song sometimes helps I turned it onto shuffle. ‘Enchanted’ by Taylor Swift started to play, I turned it up louder it seemed perfect. I sing along absentmindedly. The lyrics seemed to fit the situation perfectly, I sighed.

I searched around for my phone, I found it on my desk in the study. I flipped it and chucked it around in my hands. I wanted Kurt to know how sorry I was for everything that happened today but decided it was too soon to text him.

“I don’t want that that queer boy at our house Blaine why can’t you see that he is just trying to corrupt you!”

That sentence was bouncing around my head just repeating and repeating itself. It’s okay for her not to accept me but to say that and blame it on someone else, is just wrong. As the song finished a tear fell from my eye. Why are things so complicated?

I needed some air.

The Lima Bean was about a 10 minute walk from my house so I regularly went there when I needed to think. I grabbed some shoes and went outside, the temperature was just right so I didn’t have to wear any kind of coat. I started walking.

I got to the Lima Bean pretty quickly and I automatically joined the line for a coffee out of habit. I ordered my medium drip and was ready to pay when I realised I hadn’t brought any money with me. I looked at the girl behind the check out.

“Erm never mind I seem to have misplaced my wallet sorry about that.”

She looked at me, she looked completely bored and uncaring like she didn’t want to be there.

The guy behind me started to order as I turned away to leave.

“…and I will have one medium drip for the guy that just lost his wallet.”

I turned around to see him looking at me.

He was tall, probably early 20s with longish wavy hair that was the colour of caramel. He smiled at me.

I walked towards him. “Thanks, but why are you doing this?” I said, a coffee shop in Ohio was a bit of a strange place to find Good Samaritan.

“You can be my good deed for the day, I try to do at one nice thing for someone every day. My name is Jeremiah.” He said extending my arm.

I shook his hand “Blaine” I said.

He handed the girl the money as we went over to wait for our drinks.

“So Blaine what brings you here to the Lima Bean on this Saturday afternoon?”

Was he trying to make conversation with me?

“Erm I needed some air and a bit of a walk you?” I didn’t really feel like confiding in a stranger so best to keep is simple.

“I’m on my break, I work at the gap” this guy seemed like he would tell me his whole life story if I asked.