Chapter Six

Ivan trekked across the snow covered ground, cutting his way through the yard to reach the house faster instead of taking the ridiculously winding driveway Alfred had built. He was tired after a week long of work and although seeing Alfred would certainly be a drag, Andrew would be sure brighten his mood as well.

The moment he opened the door, he was tempted to close it, again. In the front room, Alfred had stacked a few chair's on top of one another and was standing on his tip toes to reach the light fixture. A small toy was lodged into it and he was carefully leaning forward, the toy just brushing his fingertips.

"Alfred. What are you doing?"

"Huh?" Alfred tried to turn around, throwing himself off balance. He managed to grab the hanging lamp just in time, but all the chairs toppled down, leaving him stranded in the air, "Dammit!"

"You really need to stop getting yourself into such precarious situations," Ivan sighed, picking up the chairs and pushing them out of the way before holding his arms out, "Come on, then. I'll catch you."

"No way!" Alfred argued, "I don't trust you!"

"I didn't fail to catch you last time, did I?" Ivan pointed out. Alfred frowned, remembering when he'd been building this very house and had fallen.

"Both times are your fault in the first place," Alfred argued, "You showing up keeps distracting me."

"I had no idea," Ivan smirked, "I suppose I should be flattered."

"Not like that!" Alfred growled.

"Look. Alfred, do I really need to get Andrew in here to talk some sense into you? There's no other way down."

"Go get me a ladder," Alfred suggested.

"I'm not dragging a ladder through his snow," Ivan refused.

"Then stack the chairs back up."

"That was a stupid idea to begin with." Alfred glared at him. Finally he reached for the toy and dropped it into Ivan's outstretched hand.

"Don't break that," Alfred warned, "It's Andrew's. Put it over there." Ivan placed it on the side table that Alfred had implied and returned to where he was, waiting patiently.

"You next."

"You better not drop me."

"As tempting as it may be, you have my word."

Alfred swallowed and closed his eyes. Counting to ten, he let up his hold and fell, landing in Ivan's arms as promised.

"God, you're an ass," Alfred let go of a breath, wrapping his arms around Ivan's neck so he couldn't drop him, again.

"If you have such a fear of heights, I don't understand why you keep climbing up to such high places," Ivan informed.

"I'm not afraid of heights," Alfred argued, "I'm just not fond of relying on people I don't particularly trust to catch me when I'm in free fall. That's all."

"I'm not so bad that I would let you hit the floor," Ivan pointed out, "If we're gonna make this work, you're going to need to learn to trust me."

"Do you trust me?" Alfred demanded. Ivan, startled by the question, opened his mouth and then closed it, again.

"...No."

"Well, then there you go."

Just then, the door opened and Andrew came in, carrying bags on either arm. He paused in the doorway, a smile spreading across his face.