Chapter Four

"Well aren't you just the cutest little thing?" Francis pinched Andrew's cheek, grinning. A hand on either shoulder pulled him backwards and he looked up to see both Alfred and Ivan giving the Frenchman the stink eye.

"Yo. Francis. Do you mind?" Alfred demanded, "Besides, he's not some little kid. He's practically a teenager."

"He just reminds me so much of you both when you were young," Francis wiped a single tear from his eye, "You were both so adorable and now you're all grown up."

"Stop boring them with stories no one wants to hear, Frog," Arthur walked over, glaring at him, "What's all the commotion anyways?"

"Yo, Pops," Alfred pushed Andrew forward a little towards Arthur, proudly, "This is the kid we were talking about!"

"Hmm," Arthur offered his hand, "Arthur Kirkland, also known as England and representative of the United Kingdom Of Great Britain and North Ireland. It's a pleasure."

"Andrew Jones," Andrew took his hand to shake, "Or Alaska, I guess. The pleasure's all mine."

"Well, at least he's better mannered than you were," Arthur glanced over at his former colony, "I'm surprised, actually."

"Come on!" Alfred demanded, "Why is it that none of you have any faith in my ability to raise children?"

"Perhaps it has something to do with the fact you practically are one," Ivan suggested.

"Least I'm not a halloween exhibit all year long," Alfred retaliated.

"You're about as intimidating as a litter of puppies," Ivan stated.

"Some people are afraid of dogs!"

"And yet no one is afraid of you. How sad. You're even less intimidating then a litter of puppies."

"You wanna say that to my face?"

"I'm fairly certain I just did."

"Say it, again. See what happens. I dare you."

"Hey," Andrew piped up, turning to them, "Stop that."

"But..." Alfred complained, "He started it!"

"I don't care who started it," Andrew crossed his arms, "You're supposed to be professionals." Neither had much to say to that and simply mumbled to themselves about how stupid the other was.

"What... Just happened?" Francis whispered to Arthur.

"I... I actually am not quite sure," Arthur admitted, "But whatever it was, I wouldn't call it anything short of a miracle."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

As assumed, it was decided almost immediately that Ivan and Alfred would be sharing custodial duties. They both sat in the otherwise empty meeting room, hashing out a schedule. Andrew sat patiently across the table from them, interrupting only when it appeared a fight would break out.

"Hey," Alfred looked up, suddenly, concerned, "Are you alright? You haven't said much."

"I'm fine," Andrew nodded.

"Are you hungry? We could order something," Alfred suggested.

"I'm alright."

"You could go explore if you'd like."

"No, thank you."

Alfred frowned, but dropped the conversation, returning his attention to Ivan, "He's not doing anything."

"He's probably anxious to just have this entire thing over with," Ivan suggested, in a hushed tone, "If he does truly view us as his parents, then it will be rather upsetting for him to have to see us separately. He's probably feeling pressured into choosing a favourite, but doesn't want to loose the other. It's all very common stuff for children with parents who are not together - Even our mature little Alaska is not exempt from that."