Our First Date

For months now, there has been a chemistry between us that is completely undeniable. I wish it wasn’t though because, to be wholly honest, you bug the crap out of me. You’re loud, obnoxious, annoying, gorgeous, cheesy, and surprisingly sweet… and you know it. Every day, you smile your heart stopping smile and make me practically melt into my desk. Then your smile slowly fades to a smirk, which is equally devastating to my already erratic heartbeat.

When you first came up to me so many weeks ago, I thought you had finally gone insane. To be honest, I never expected you to make the first move. Actually, I never expected either of us to make a move at all. I figured that every time our eyes met, you were just joking around or something and that I simply needed to move on and get over the psychotic butterflies in my stomach that started fluttering anytime I gazed into your baby blue eyes.

Then you did it.

“Hi.” You said, bending at the knees so you were crouched beside my desk, resting your elbows on my textbook. Your almost innocent face was rested in the palms of your hands as you looked at me with a soft smile. The twinkle in your eye told me you weren’t completely harmless though.

“Hello.” I replied, eyeing you cautiously and moving as far back in the immovable desk chair as possible.

“So, I noticed you staring at me for the past few months.” You began.

My jaw dropped and my eyes widened, “Excuse me?!” I exclaimed, drawing the attention of nearly half the class. “You’ve got to be kidding me. wasn’t the one staring. You were.”

With one perfect eyebrow – actually, I suppose that isn’t true… your eyebrows are a bit bushy to be honest, you started smirking again, “So you have been looking at me.”

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, “Whatever.” I grumbled, turning my body to the front of the classroom. Despite my best efforts, it was impossible to ignore you and my eyes kept flicking back and to your still smirking face. After a few minutes of this, I sighed and turned to look you straight on, “What are you still here for?” I asked.

“Well a date, of course.” You said, sounding as though it was the most completely obvious thing in the world.

My nose began wrinkling without even thinking about it. Immediately, your eyes lit up in amusement as you patiently waited for my answer. “You can’t be serious.” I finally said.

“Of course I am. Clearly you want my body, so I’m willing to give it to you.” You said, sounding more cocky than ever.

“You know, if there ever was a chance of us going on a date, you just lost it.” I informed you honestly.

“Why? Because I told the truth?” You asked.

“No, because you’re a jerk.” I said, completely confident in that assumption.

“Look, sweetness, I’m not a jerk. I’m honest and maybe a little insensitive, but that’s about it. Maybe you’re just a prude?” You offered.

Strangely, hearing you say that stung deeply, “I’m not a prude.” I whispered.

“Okay… Then go out with me.” You said, sounding as though you’d just found the perfect answer.

I sighed, “Look, I don’t even know your name.”

“Lucas King.” You said, sticking your hand out for me to shake.

“Astrid Malone.” I replied, grabbing your hand shyly. Your skin, although rough, against mine felt like silk.

“So, Astrid Malone, would you please accompany me on a date this Saturday?” For the first time since you crouched down by me, you actually sounded like a gentleman. I don’t know what possessed me to do so, but I said yes.