Carol of the Bells

Every year, right about this time, the world just seems to be at peace. Snowflakes drift softly down on you from the sky and Christmas is everywhere you go. From the decorations in the stores, to the twinkle lights in the trees, everybody can feel the cheery mood of the holidays. My favorite part of this season though, is the music. I love Christmas music. I mean, really, what’s more fun that singing songs about the most wonderful time of year?

Maybe I’m a little biased though, considering my mom is the choral instructor for our church. She’s been in charge of organizing the ‘Star Carolers’, a group of us who go around singing Christmas carols in our small town of Stars Hollow, since before I was born. I’ve literally been raised singing Christmas carols, because in my house, Christmas is all year round… well the music is at least.

This year is a big year for me. I finally get to join the choir and be a Star Caroler. I had to wait until I was sixteen to join the group, but last year I ended up getting really sick and couldn’t join the group for either night. This is my year though.

But I’ve gotta say, the best part of being a Star Caroler isn’t really the singing. There’s this boy, who just joined recently when Mom discovered him singing at a coffee shop, named Parker Thomas. I’ve known Parker since we were little. He’s always been part of the cool crowd, having tons of friends. Everybody laughs at his jokes and supports him if he gets an answer wrong in class. Whereas I’ve always been that girl in the middle. Even though I wasn’t part of the cool group, I wasn’t completely unpopular. I have plenty of friends; some of them are even in the cool group. It’s just never been my thing.

Anyways, I’ve had the biggest crush on Parker since second grade. I know, it’s a really long time to go on liking somebody, but he’s just so dang cute. And he’s nice. Not like that forced politeness that a lot of people have, but genuinely kind. If he sees you struggling to get your groceries in the car, he’ll be there as soon as possible to help you. If your books slip from your fingers in the hallway, he’s usually the only person who’ll stop what they’re doing and pick your things up for you. He’s basically the definition of gentleman.

I’m nervous though. Parker’s never heard me sing, and what if I screw up? The worst part is that, if I really do screw up, Parker is too nice to be mean to me and he’ll probably tell me I did a good job or something. I’ll feel completely pathetic if he does.

“Carol, are you ready yet?” Mom yells from downstairs.

“I’ll be right down!” I yell back, putting the finishing touches on the crown braid I’ve put my long blonde hair in. I’ve been obsessed with braids recently and, even though this particular braid reminds me of a Dutch milkmaid, I love it. Even though it’s a little silly, I chose my outfit carefully hoping that Parker would finally notice me. I know it’s a long shot, not only because he’s a boy but also because my outfit is far from sexy. I’m wearing dark jeggings, a grey knit turtle neck sweater, grey uggs, a black coat with tiny white dots on it, black gloves, and a red scarf. Well I’m about to. The gloves, coat, and boots are still downstairs waiting for me to don them.

Taking a deep breath and one last glance in the mirror, I head downstairs to where my mother’s impatiently waiting by the door. “You look nice sweety.” She says with a smile.

“Thanks.” I say, smiling back and pulling on the uggs.

“Hurry up now, it looks bad if I’m late.” She says, moving anxiously from one foot to the other.

I giggle, “Sorry to keep you waiting, your majesty.”

She narrows her eyes at me a bit, but it doesn’t last long since a wide smile appears on her lips as I pull on my jacket and open the door for her.