Right and Wrong

We followed the well worn path through the woods and along the side of the mountain. I didn't know how long it would take us to get back to Exton, but I urged my feet forward, knowing how crucial our speed was. We needed to warn them, to tell them what terror their loved ones faced in the citadel and we needed to reach out to the shrine for their help in healing the wounded. However, after we made our way around a particularly sharp bend, we found a few figures racing towards us.

"Addie, you made it out," called Sister Kiiri, who was accompanied by nearly twenty other attendants, possibly the entire population of the shrine minus the sisters. She sat next to the wagon driver from town, whose horses made their way forward as fast as the cart behind them would allow. The passengers clung to their benches, their bodies bouncing and swaying, threatening to fly off with the next bump in the road, but not a single complaint waited upon their somber lips.

"Kiiri," I replied, stepping to the side of the road and pulling the eerily quiet Cecily beside me. "You know of the citadel?"

"We've been watching them for some time and we caught sight of the Ravens marching in. The sisters sent all of us down immediately to recruit the town and begin an evacuation." The cart slowed to meet us, but the driver looked ready to urge them onward the moment Kiiri told him too. His wet eyes darted between us and the road ahead, in the distance another explosion rolled like a distant purr.

"You must hurry, so many are already in need of help and I'm not sure the mountain can withstand the assault." I looked past the cart and saw several other members of town leading horses along. Some pulled wagons that should have been out in the fields hauling crops, while others dragged makeshift carts and stretchers ill-fitted to their steeds. They were doing all they could to save who they could, but I knew it wouldn't be enough.

"Blossom, my alpaca," said Kiiri, bringing my eyes back to the main wagon, "is back in town, tied up to a post outside the tavern. Take her up, I won't be needing her."

"Right, may the gods be with you," I said, giving her a nod and pulling Cecily's practically limp body along with me as I returned to our trek.

Kiiri responded only with a nod and without a word spoken, the driver whipped the reins and the horses charged forward.

We passed a few more townsfolk on our way back to Exton. Eventually the horses tapered off into donkeys and mules. Then even those disappeared and all that remained were a few villagers just going by foot, hauling large packs of bandages, herbs and tinctures. On occasion someone would nod in our direction though their lips remained flat and firm, and their eyes dark and serious. Most gave us no notice, their gaze instead riveted upon the path ahead without a bit of attention given to anything other than the fear they felt for those waiting at the end of the road.

Cecily made little fuss when I showed her the grand beast that would be carrying us up the mountain. She nodded her approval and waited for me to take the saddle before grabbing my hand and settling herself in behind me. By then, evening had begun and the purple sweep of night drowned out the warm golden embrace of day.

Thankfully, the path up the mountain was well marked, a much needed blessing considering the snow that swallowed up the shrine and the vicious wind that had already swept away the various prints left by Kiiri and the other attendants on their march down the mountain. Despite the frigid weather, Cecily snored softly behind my ear, her head balanced upon my back and her arms loosely wrapped around my torso. The woolen dress that Kiiri had provided for my costume kept me relatively warm, but I knew how the wind must bite at Cecily in her cotton gown. Still, she slept and that's how I let her remain until we reached the entrance to the shrine.

"I see you've retrieved the princess unscathed," said Jani, her black hair cutting lines across her face as the strands danced in the snowy breeze.

"She has a few wounds, but I believe most of the damage is in the mind." I pulled forward, hoping the motion might shake Cecily from her sleep. It took a bit longer than I expected, but she eventually sprung from her nap and then shook with surprise as her skin awakened to the cold.

"Aunts," said Cecily as her only greeting.

"Niece," they responded in chorus.

"I need rest," she continued, taking my hand as I guided her down. "I can barely..."

"You know where our healing rooms are," said Juri with little interest in hearing Cecily's woeful tale. "In one you'll find Captain Blanc's clothing newly washed, mended, and folded upon the mattress. You may share her room tonight, but be mindful we have a man in recovery next door and in a few hours time all of our rooms will be occupied."

"A problem that may have been avoided had you notified the citadel of the Ravens," the princess muttered as she glided past them and towards the door.

"It is not for us to assume intentions," answered Jani. "We've seen many tragedies upon the horizon and yet we always held hope that our vision was clouded."

"Our fears have yet to be proven wrong," continued her sister.

"Yet, we still hope," finished Jani.

"Look where hope got you," snarled Cecily before she stormed through the door and into the shrine.

We all allowed the silence to fill in the hole the princess left and though I desperately wanted to step into the warmth of the roaring fires inside, there were words that still needed to be said.

"She's not wrong, you know." I toed the snow with my boot and clasped my arms around me, squeezing my hands into my pits to keep them warm.

"Perhaps she is, perhaps she isn't," answered Juri. "Nothing is certain except for death."

"What is most uncertain is politics," continued the dark-haired sister. "We continue to do as is needed of us for anyone that needs it. This privilege is granted because we do not step into fights that are not ours."

"But to say we don't want to is a lie."

I looked at Juri, her statement hanging still and stiff upon the cold air. I gave her a tight-lipped nod, understanding all too well the line that must not be crossed between duty and our personal beliefs.

"Your pirate for one, is an enemy of our homeland, yet still he lies stable and sound upon our bed," offered Jani. "He lives because we do not belong to anyone."

"So he will make it through?" I asked, no longer concerned with Cecily's moral accusations. "What about the poison on the blade?"

"Cleansed and sealed, the wound offers no more threat," answered Juri. "He only needs to restock his blood and that will take time. Until then, he will be too weak to leave."

"Right," I said, releasing a breath I didn't know I held. "Thank you. He's not a bad man, just a misguided one."

"That is not our concern," said Jani. "Go in, we will be busy and it is best that you are not underfoot."

"Of course," I said, understanding full well that their dismissal was not personal. "May the gods be with you great sisters."

"They always are," they both replied.

***

If you're enjoying the book, please consider supporting the author by purchasing it on sylviangould.com or Amazon. You'll also get an exclusive extended epilogue!

ePub and PDF version: sylviangould.com/store/the-dragon-blood-guardian-epub-amp-pdf

Kindle version: amazon.com/dp/B07P6YPYNK

Paperback version: amazon.com/dp/1798411156