.....

A few weeks later I got a letter in the mail. On the front it said:

Peter wanted you to have this.

I ripped the envelope open and read the longest note Peter had ever written for me.

Mia, I know you probably hate me at this point but what I did was for your own good. A while back I joined a gang, and if you're reading this now it's probably why I'm dead. Listen, the point is, the notes were real. All of it was real. I told you all that because I didn't like the person I was becoming and I knew you wouldn't like me either. So I left you, thinking it would hurt you less when something happened to me, because I knew something would. But I'm a dumb asshole and I made you want to kill yourself. 

I just want you to be happy. That's all I ever wanted for you. So now that I'm gone, I need you to promise you'll never take your own life. Whenever it gets bad just remember that people love you. And never forget that you are beautiful, Mia, you really are. You're funny and smart and everything I ever wanted in a girl. Maybe in an alternate universe you and I could have been together. Who knows. 

Everything I ever did was to protect you. I know I messed up, and I know you are sad but don't be. Be happy, you have the rest of your life ahead of you.

Oh, and Mia, you're more than just a girl. You weren't just something to fill my spare time, you mean so much more to me. And these? They're not just notes.

I Always Loved You,

Peter.