Gargoyle

Dedicated to bubbleslovezebras for the amazing covers she made for me

Don't Be Scared

I was always told that the darkness holds no secrets; that my fear was unnecessary, and that I was being childish. I would have believed them if I didn't confront the dark.

Fear it is truly paralyzing, and in the last few minutes of your life, fear will eat you alive.

The dark was not my fear. It was the legends hidden in the dark that scared me. But nobody believed my fear, they all thought is a child's story. Even though I knew better, I tried to believe them, to forget the eyes in the shadows, and to be normal and not scared. Needless to say I failed.

It was May 9, 1860 when it happened. I was walking near the old church and stopped. A movement in the shadows caught my eye. I looked at the gargoyles staring down; there open mouths spitting water onto the black road. I felt someone, no something watching me but I couldn't place it then. I still can't. All I know is watching the water fall to the street scared me so bad I was paralyzed by fear. It was a fear so awful that I couldn't think. And the next thing I knew, my world went black.

*

I woke hours later, and a scream bubbled in my throat. Standing before me was the worst thing I could have imagined. The thing was grotesque; its eyes were little black bead set in a stone gray head. Red ran down its claws, its wings spread behind it in a swift arch. It laughed a terrible screeching sound.

I tried to move but my hands were chained. The thing gave a menacing smile, before it spoke, "Who.." Was all it said, and that was when I knew. My greatest fear was standing before me. The thing in front of me was a gargoyle, and it was alive. I couldn't choke back a scream any longer as a shrill shriek erupted from my throat.

It moved fast for being made of stone. One of its claws wrapped firmly around my throat, cutting of my scream. It smiled once more, lifting me in the air. I felt oxygen leave me, as my feet dangled, I tried to kick it but it threw me against the wall. I groaned, it felt like I was hit by a bus. I didn't need to look up to know the thing was coming closer, and at that moment a long bang echoed through the place. The thing ran off, I was alone for a moment but my brain wouldn't work.

*

It came back a couple hours, the blood now a crusted brown on it. I backed away, until my chains pulled me back. I stared up into its eyes, my fear paralyzing me once again. The gargoyle walked up till it was right in front of me. It grabbed my arm, its claws drawing blood and I felt my bone snap and scream.

It laughed; the sound rang in my ears as it wrapped a nasty claw around my throat. Suddenly I could see myself. My body laid crumpled at its feet, blood formed a red halo around my body. The gargoyle held my throat in its clenched claw. I knew I was dead.

The thing still haunts me even now. It's a silent killer, and today I watch another meet my fate. I can't help, I am trapped to it, bending to its will, so all I can do now is watch.