A Demon's Wrath

I am stuck between a psycho Anomaly and an angry Demon. Not to mention there are five would-be rapists on the ground with me, but seeing that they are all groaning and half-conscious, I'm sad to say that they are the least of my worries.

Grunting, I pull myself through the pieces of broken glass, propping myself up against the wall.

Eden has climbed to her feet, the light from my room's window trickling distortedly into the hall, falling over her like imperfect crystals. Her glacier stare is lit up, and it looks like that of a cornered beast.

The blood-red light that splayed over the room is already retracting, the unholy portal closing behind Oberon, who sits regally upright in his chair at the center of the room, like its a throne and he's not disabled.

I am too far from the door to make a quick exit. One of them would stop me. Either by Eden or Oberon, I'm pretty sure I'm in for it.

"You're a Demon," Eden whispers, finally breaking the loaded silence. She grips the doorframe, looking prepared to bolt.

"How very observant of you," Oberon answers, folding his hands with a condescending smile. "Now, I'm just wondering what it is you are and why my Attendant has anything to do with you?"

"She's filth."

"Well, she is a human. That is indeed their natural state."

"I must exterminate all filth, and- and that includes you," she stammers out, her confidence dwindling.

The Demon raises his brows in amusement. "Exterminate me? That's cute. Better have tried, and yet here I am, albeit a little worse for wear."

Eden's grip on the doorframe tightens, the wood groaning in response. "Don't underestimate me. You look halfway there already."

"This is only temporary, I can assure you. All I need is one little item to restore myself to my former glory, and give or take a few souls to devour. Yours seems rather interesting... it would please me to add it to my collection."

Eden is quiet for a moment, tilting her head at him in contemplation, her eyes still aglow in the darkness. "You aren't strong enough..."

Oberon's lip twitches, but quickly, the line slides into a smile. " I may not be what I was, but I am anything but weak. I was going to kill you mercifully, but now I'm reconsidering."

"Why not leave this place and return to your world? The Underworld? Or will they not have you back?"

Oberon lets out a cold little laugh. "Who says I want to go back? Earth is the place for me. Lots of little meaty sacks running around, with nuggety souls at their centers, waiting to be devoured. And every single one is enraptured by temptation and sin."

"Not for long," Eden whispers.

"You're an angel, then? Come from Purgatory, perhaps? Paradise?"

My gaze shoots back to her, stunned. Angels? Purgatory? Paradise?

What the hell?

Eden's form begins to waft like smoke, wavering apart, her lit eyes the last to seep apart into the air. "I am... salvation," she breathes out, and the hairs on my arms stand up in fear.

Inexplicably, she is gone.

"That was quite interesting," Oberon states dryly.

I remain against the wall, petrified. Rumor, my old client, could change her form-- shapeshift-- but she never turned into fucking thin air. I don't even know where the hell Eden went or what she wants, but apparently she's coming back for me, since I am filth. And sadly, I find I cannot argue with her.

"Where were you?"

My attention snaps back to the Prince of the Underworld in my living room. "Huh?"

Oberon's jaw tightens in disapproval. "I told you to meet me. I gave you instructions. You are my Attendant, are you not? Is it not your job to attend to me, or is your sole loyalty to alcoholism?"

I just stare at him, unsure of what to say.

His frown deepens. " Perhaps it's my own fault, for thinking that an insect would understand simple orders. This--" he waves a hand around my disaster of an apartment, " -- this has to change. And quick. You understand? I have zero tolerance for stupidity, and intoxicated fools are classically stupid."

I nod.

"Good. Now get up and bring one of those men to me."

My stomach drops. "What?" I ask.

A brow tilts upwards. "She left them alive, correct?"

"Yes."

"Then. Bring. Them. To. Me," he announciates bitingly, beyond annoyed at me.

I lurch up to my feet, hands still bleeding, and take the smallest man by the arms, dragging him to the Demon.

"Kneel him in front me, expose his throat."

I throw him a look, which earns me another steely glare. Gulping, I do as he says.

He leans forward and sinks his teeth into the man's neck. Immediately, the guy's eyes shoot open, and he lets out a shrill scream. Still latched to his throat, Oberon reaches up with both hands and snaps his neck, the screaming pittering out to a garbled croak. I suck in a breath as the man's round eyes roll into the back of his head, watching blood spill down his neck from around Oberon's feral lips. The Demon's eyes look maniacal, like a starved animal tearing into its kill. His grip tightens as the body starts to convulse.

I back away, utterly repulsed by what I am witnessing.

When the tremors stop and the croaking dies out, Oberon lets the body drop, wheezing in air and leaning back in his chair, looking exhausted. He brings a hand up across his blood-soaked chin, eyes finding mine. "Bring me another," he says darkly.

And because I am his Attendant, I do. I bring them one by one until he is finally satisfied.

And then, without saying good bye to Viktor, we leave.