Chapter Thirty Five

-----------------

Dedication: Vickxoxo for commenting on the last chapter! Thank you!

Recap:

Suddenly, heavy footsteps ascended towards us. I whipped my head up, to see Owen. The sun blinded me momentarily and when I blinked, I focused on his face.

It was clear and completely unblemished.

"Hey guys," he greeted, slinging his bag onto the table. "What's up?"

Marissa and I exchange a look and I feel a mixture of disappointment and relief.

If it's not Owen, I'm starting to think that is must be Casey.

------------------

I could hardly focus at school, my mind continuously replaying last night's scene over and over again.

I can't keep living like this. In this horrible, state of fear, unable to sleep or feel safe in my own house. Unable to freely walk around, without the feel of eyes watching my every step.

It came to lunch time, when I couldn't take it any longer. Hitching my bag onto my shoulder, I walked home, my steps hurried. I didn't sign a leave form, I didn't tell anyone. I just left.

After rushing inside and grabbing my keys, feeling petrified being in there alone, I dashed out to my car and locked the doors.

When I heard the distinct lock sound, I let out a breath, my hands shaking.

After taking a few moments to calm myself, I reached for my phone. I switched it back on and waited, my fingers tapping the wheel. I gazed at my house. On the outside it looked nice, modern and well-maintained. No one could possibly know that someone breaks in, torments me, stealing away much already dwindling sanity, each time they do.

A beeping noise, followed by a series of vibrations pulled my eyes to my phone.

I had a few missed texts from Marissa, one from Josh and one from the unknown number.

It read:

Unknown: You're going to regret that.

It was sent today. I'm assuming the threat is referencing last night, where not only did I have sex with Josh again, he stayed the night and punched my attacker. We knew we were playing with fire. We knew he would get mad.

Before I could talk myself out of it, I was calling the number.

As I listened to the phone ring, I thought back to when I gave the officer the number for the phone. He wasn't able to locate it, almost as if the location services had been disabled. That made me uneasy that this guy was that planned out.

Suddenly, the phone wasn't ringing anymore.

Slow, even, breathing met my ears.

"Let's settle this," I snapped, my voice sounding much bolder than I thought it would. "I'm sick of this tormenting."

Silence.

"I'm going to the bridge. Do you hear me? The bridge. Meet me there otherwise I will come for you with every bone in my body, until I fucking kill you."

I hung up, throwing my phone onto the seat, my entire body trembling. I wanted to go inside and grab a thicker coat, but I was too scared. I was too scared at thought that he might be in there.

At least at the bridge, I have daylight, other possible witnesses and open space. Inside, there are too many shadows, too many places to hide and not enough people around to hear me, if I need them to.

Starting my car, I reversed and began to drive to my old town.

The radio was playing, but it couldn't distract me from my thoughts. I felt sick. My entire body felt cold and shaky.

I felt stiff and tense as I got closer. My eyes were wet as I drove through the main street, memories of me and Casey strolling down them, hand in hand, burning in my mind. I bit my tongue, refusing to let the sobs release. I had to hold it together. I needed to do this, even if it killed me.

It seemed weird to see life going on as normal around me. Cars drove past, people roamed the street, I could even hear children's laughter. It's crazy how some people could be laughing, going about their day, while my life was literally falling apart.

Pulling up, I tumbled out of the car, feeling uneasy. I dropped to my knees and vomited up my breakfast. Scrambling to my feet, I quickly rinsed my mouth out with a now-warm water that I'd left in the car. I spat it out, unable to rid the icky feeling that I had in my throat.

Shoving my keys into my pocket, I forced my legs to walk to the bridge, where Casey committed suicide. The bridge that I almost did, too.

My breath was coming out in short, fast pants as I walked down the path, my hand skimming along the railing.

I stood there, my hands tight around the cool metal, the wind harshly biting at my skin.

After waiting about fifteen minutes, I pulled out my phone.

I texted him.

Sadie: I'm here.

A few moments later, he replied.

Unknown: I'm here, too.

My heart plummeted into my stomach as I whirled around, my eyes roaming my surroundings. No one could be seen. The only sounds were my own drumming heartbeat, the wind and the cars rushing beneath the bridge.

Turning, I leaned over the railing, feeling a cold sweat break out across the back of my neck. I felt hot and bothered and yet, icy cold at the same time. I was beginning to feel like I was going to faint, when I heard footsteps behind me.

I squeezed my eyes shut, gripping the railing as if I was about to fall.

"Hi Sadie."

The voice was deep, like it had been when he spoke to me in my room. Goose bumps scattered across my skin.

"Casey," I whispered brokenly.

"You didn't really think it was him, did you?"

I spun on my heel, feeling like my heart was ready to leap outside my chest at any moment, my eyes snapping open.

It wasn't Casey.

------------------

I feel like this was kind of obvious, but anyway, there will be more answers in the next update! Hope you're enjoying the final chapters!