Chapter 3

“Hello, John.” Olivia could not mask the sorrow in her voice, but there seemed to be a slight tinge of anger in her words.

John extended his hand towards Olivia, who hesitated for a moment before taking it. She did not say a word as they walked together to the small gig that John had acquired to transport them back to her Greek home. Olivia was silent during the first few minutes of the journey, her face a placid and cool surface that did not reflect the anger and sadness that was boiling over inside of her.

“It was not right.” Her words were so quiet that John almost could not hear them.

“No one expected that she would die. We thought that she would grieve for a time, but then that she would find solace in your companionship.”

Olivia let out a small and bitter laugh. “Yes, perhaps she would have survived if I had not killed whatever small amount of hope it was that she had left.”

They kept silent until reaching the rooms that John and Daniel had rented. The room was stuffy, filled with the smoke of cigars and the smell of liquor. Daniel, pale and wan with reddened eyes, was sitting in a chair, and could barely keep the look of shame off of his face as he greeted Olivia. Olivia herself could barely keep the anger she held in her heart hidden from Daniel as well.

“It was a cruel trick. How did you get a body to replace your own? What kind of villainy have you involved me in?” Her accusatory tone sent a barb through Daniel’s already fragile heart.

“The body was a mere chance of luck on our part.” John spoke, placing a supportive arm around Daniel. “A local fisherman who drowned. His family and the constable were paid quite well for their part in the matter.”

“I did not know what to do when the constable came speaking of a body.” Olivia’s voice shook with emotion. “I feared you had truly come to harm. I knew when I saw the man that you had arranged this, and I followed suit.”

“Yes,” Daniel finally offered. “John and I knew that you would know what to do.”

“The guilt I feel will never be washed from my hands.” Olivia’s voice was grim. “If we had not destroyed her final shred of hope, then perhaps the lady would have lived.”

At this pronouncement, Daniel broke into sobs.

“Yes.” John said. “The events of late have been grave. And perhaps if we had approached things by a different manner. But there is no way to take back what has been done. We have to look forward.”

Olivia thought for a long moment before her anger subsided and she saw her own complicity in the act. “It was I who originally came to you with the idea, with this plan. It may have taken a turn that I regret, but I complied. I can only offer my repentance for the loss of life of Lady Hightower. She deserved honesty.”

Daniel’s tears ceased and he looked up, taking Olivia’s hand into his own and pressing his lips to it. “I cannot begin to thank you enough for the sacrifice you have made for our happiness.”

It had been Olivia who went after John when she saw him retreat so hastily at their wedding. Daniel had not told her who his secret love was, but when she saw the pained face of the gentleman leaving the church after they were wed, she knew that he had to be that person. During the chaos of packing for their honeymoon, Olivia was able to escape the house and seek him out.

John was reluctant to receive her and wary to hear just what words or accusations Daniel’s bride might have for him, but he was most profoundly and pleasantly surprised when Olivia spoke to him. She had known the truth about Daniel and entered the relationship with eyes wide open, but it was her wish that Daniel and John find true happiness. The plan to have the lovers reunite in Greece after Daniel’s mysterious disappearance was not well thought out, but was more palatable to the lovers than the thought of being without each other for the rest of their lives.