Chapter 5

“And how much longer do you expect to stay?” Uncle William posed the question gently, and Olivia could only give him a tight smile and a sigh. It had been a particularly trying day. Eugenia and her aunt had a terrible row, and her aunt had left in a huff, while Eugie was sulking in Olivia’s room.

Olivia had not expected such a disaster. She had thought that there would perhaps be some awkwardness,but that it would be comfortable enough to stay in her Aunt and Uncle’s home until she was able to settle her legal matters and find a home of her own. She had known the minute that she set out from Portsmouth that she had taken on more than she could bargain.

Eugenia’s behavior became erratic as soon as the women left Portsmouth. She had been quiet while packing her bags and it was not until they left the town that Eugenia let loose her personality. Olivia surmised that her sister had feared that their father was not truly giving her freedom, and was just calmly waiting to snatch away her happiness, but Eugie did not know that when money was at stake her father could control his cruelty.

Olivia was shocked at the change in her sister. Eugie was prone to fits of laughter, loud inappropriate speech towards any and everyone they encountered, which made the serving people they encountered quite uncomfortable. At first, Olivia considered the fact that her sister had not the education and upbringing that she had, but she was shocked to find that when she tried to quietly reprimand her sister or ask her to rein in her behavior, Eugie would throw a fit.  The girl would shout, or cry about how difficult her life had been, and her tears frightened Olivia so that she could only try to appease her sister.

A trip to the dressmakers to make sure that Eugie would be properly attired for meeting her aunt and uncle was another disaster. Olivia had wanted her sister to get a nice day dress that would travel well, but Eugie, who had never been given the opportunity to have such a dress, wanted full control over the design. She chose a blue silk gown with a bust line that was entirely too low, and the amount of trim and ruffles and bows made her look ridiculous. Olivia had no choice but to let her sister chose the gown, as Olivia wanted to avoid a scene.

The situation was only exacerbated once they had reached her aunt and uncle’s estate. Olivia had known that it would not be easy, but she had hoped, in her heart of hearts, that her aunt and uncle would have love in their heart for her sister and their niece. Eugie, however, did not make it easy. The moment she entered the house, she did not conceal her animosity and bitterness towards her aunt and uncle, and she was not calm or quiet. Olivia tried everything she could to make the situation more tenable, but Eugie could only descend further into hysterics and bad behavior, carrying on loud bawdy conversations with the valets or scullery maids, admonishing her aunt and uncle for abandoning her and her family to languish in poverty and fluttering about the house, eating sweets, wearing Olivia’s old dresses and constantly lamenting loudly about the fate of her mother and younger sisters.

It had only been a fortnight, but Olivia knew that they could not stay much longer. Their uncle had been gracious, and tried to calm Eugie along with Olivia, but Eugie only used his kindness as a tool to torment her aunt even more. And Aunt Charity’s reactions of crying and begging her niece to behave herself only caused Eugie to act out more. This particular day had been the worst yet. Eugie had insisted, despite being much stouter than Olivia, to put on the very special gown she had wore during the ball of Olivia’s coming out. Aunt Charity had designed the gown with love and care and it was particularly special to her. Eugie had put the gown on and sashayed around the estate, not taking care and dragging the hem through the mud, and ripping the bodice at the seams. Aunt Charity had taken to her room, in silent tears and with a reproachful look at Olivia for bringing such a creature to her home.

So when Uncle William posed his question to Olivia, she could not help but answer that they would leave post haste. She recalled the name of the gentleman who John and Daniel had referred to her as a friend who could help her if she needed, and wrote a letter to the Duke of Marlborough, informing him of her troubles and her upcoming arrival. Olivia went to speak with her aunt before she left, begging forgiveness of the woman who had raised her as a child of her own.

Eugie was subdued during her travel to Brookington Hall. It was as if she was thinking upon her poor behavior, and Olivia reasoned that being away from her aunt and uncle lessened Eugie’s feelings of anger and resentment. Olivia was still worried, however, as Eugie’s quietness was a nervous one, and Olivia was unhappy to find her sister was unable to sleep restfully. The sooner they got to Brookington Hall, perhaps she would be able to find a solution of just what she could do for her sister.

The grounds surrounding the estate were some of the loveliest that Olivia had ever seen. Eugie seemed subdued, in awe of her surroundings. Olivia reasoned that if she had never seen anything so lovely, then Eugie was sure to be completely dumbstruck. They were received by a kind older woman with gray hair, a housekeeper named Mrs. Collins, who did not gawk at or make a comment about Eugie’s ridiculous and inappropriate dress. She merely welcomed the ladies, arranged for the bags they had to be sent up to their rooms, and informed them that the Master and Mistress were awaiting them in the courtyard.

A lovely picnic had been set out for the guests. Olivia saw the beautiful wife of the Duke seated on a divan, watching with glee as a beautiful little boy stared in delight at a butterfly while his nursemaid watched.

“Olivia! Forgive me for calling you by your christian name. Although we have not met, I feel a kinship for you, and I would love to express my sympathy and regret on hearing of poor Daniel’s death.”

Olivia smiled and thanked Cordelia. There was a true sincerity in her voice that warmed Olivia’s heart. She had forgotten all about Daniel, and felt a familiar twist in her stomach in knowing the truth, that her husband was not in fact dead, and was living in secret with his forbidden lover. She did not like lying about this, but it was part of the bargain that she had arranged with John and Daniel.

“And you,” Cordelia’s voice did not falter, even though Eugie’s appearance was ghastly. “You must be Olivia’s beloved sister, Eugenia? Welcome to my home.”

Eugie could simply nod. She was wearing a vermillion colored gown, and old one of Olivia’s that barely fit her, and had in fact, burst seams, and her bosom was hanging out a bit. She also had a most terrible looking bonnet on, with all sorts of flowers and wax fruit adorning it, and her face needed a good washing. Eugenia seemed taken by the presence of the little boy, who Olivia had to admit was a very lovely child.

“You both must be weary from your journey. I have taken it upon myself to lay out some dresses for you, if you would like to refresh yourselves and then rejoin us for lunch. Edward should be back, and he is looking forward to meeting you both.”

Olivia was surprised at her sister’s docility. Cordelia, besides being lovely, was also genuine, and her open and friendly nature had caused Eugie to lower her defenses. She merely nodded her head and went willingly up to the room, allowing the maid, a formidable young lady named Daisy, to wipe her face with a clean cloth, dress her in a modest, yet lovely gown that fit her well and arrange her hair in a way that was most becoming.

“You are a lovely lass,” Daisy stated. “There’s no need for all that frippery. A nice white muslin would suit you very well.”

Eugie could only agree, and Olivia was surprised to see that her sister smiled and complied, and was actually so pleased upon seeing herself in the mirror that she was almost brought to tears. Refreshed, they soon found themselves in the garden again, and Eugie went straight for the little boy, taking his hand and talking to him, a smile lit up on her face, and talking to him about the little pond in the yard and the fish swimming around, and he smiled at the pretty and friendly girl who was paying so much attention to him.

“She is a natural with children.” Cordelia noted.
“It is easy to be so friendly with such a lovely little boy.” Olivia smiled. “She was my mother’s greatest help when it came to my sisters.”

“Thank you. Jamie is the easiest person to love in the world. Sometimes he reminds me of his uncle in that way.”

The women sat in silence, enjoying a glass of cool water.

“You must know why I am here.” Olivia lowered her head, unable to look at Cordelia in the face, but she was comforted by the squeeze of her hand that she received when Cordelia took hers.

“My mother went mad with grief because of the things that my father subjected her to. All kinds of humiliations. I see the sadness in your sister, but there is hope. She is not lost to you. I can see this in her attentions to my son. She wants happiness, but she feels she does not deserve it.”

“How can I? I think of my sisters left in that house of misery. And my mother. If I could get them all and save them from such a terrible fate, I would. But I am merely a woman. A wealthy woman. A widow. But not with the power that even a scoundrel like my father has.”

Cordelia thought for a moment, a sort of contemplative scowl growing on her face that soon turned into a most brilliant smile when she saw her husband walking towards them. He came up to the ladies, giving his beloved wife a kiss, and nodding to Olivia, taking her hand and raising it to his lips.

“Mrs. Hightower.” His voice was deep and strong. “A pleasure to make your acquaintance. I was very sorry not to be able to attend your wedding, as well as hearing of Daniel’s death. I am glad to be a friend to you and yours, as I was to Daniel.”

Cordelia whispered to her husband and he nodded his head. Edward introduced himself most kindly to Eugie, and swept his son up in an embrace, delighting the young boy so much that he laughed with glee. At luncheon, Cordelia maintained a conversation among the odd group flawlessly, asking Eugie little questions that she could answer without feeling distressed and emotional, and upon learning that Eugie liked music, Cordelia offered to show her the pianoforte that she had inherited from her mother.

“Oh miss, I don’t know how to play a bit, but I do love music so very much.”

“I would be delighted to play a little piece for you, perhaps show you some things, you could assist me in turning the pages?”

Eugie seemed to hesitate until Edward chimed in. “Your sister and I are going to bore you to death with business over her affairs and Jamie would love to listen, and as he is much taken with you, I’m sure that Cordelia would appreciate your assistance in making sure he does not torment his nursemaid. “ At those words, Eugie and Cordelia set off to play music and entertain the babe.

“Don’t bother with pretense.” Edward’s words were gruff once they were alone. “I know that you are a false widow.”

“You?” Olivia’s blood ran cold. “But how...is it possible?”

“John is perhaps the best friend I had in the world. Of course he would share his plans with me. I know that you were the one who first approached him, and that there is money involved in this whole scheme.”

“You do me a grave injustice, Your Grace, if you think that money is my only concern. I have a family to think about, and they have been my motivation for the actions I have taken. I cannot say that I do not deserve censure or judgement, but I must insist that my intentions were not bad ones.”

Edward lowered his voice and took Olivia’s hand. “It was poorly done. Lies are never the way to freedom, they merely serve to bind more chains around you. I understand that you and your family suffer. I will do all in my power to help you, but I must ask something of you.”

“Whatever you wish, My Grace.”

“Cordelia knows nothing of your scheme with Daniel and John. I chose not to inform her when John told me of the foolish plan, and it is better that she remains ignorant of this.”

“Do you think it is wise to keep such a secret from your wife?”

“It will serve no purpose other than to disturb her. I must say that I have misjudged you. When John first shared this disastrous plan I had you pegged as a fortune hunter. But seeing you now, and your sister of course, I see the sorrow you have suffered. I will do all in my power to help you in any way that I can.”

Olivia, was of course, heartened by this news. Although she was not sure what could be done to help her mother and her sisters, she knew that having a Duke on her side was a place to start. She saw already that her sister’s wild behavior had subdued. This was all due to the influence of Cordelia, who was graceful and kind in a way that rang true, and who accepted her sister, even though she was so rough around the edges, that Eugie could not help but admire her.

Eugie was subdued now, but this did not give Olivia room to celebrate. A sort of depression and melancholy overcame her sister, and Olivia knew that Eugie was plagued with thoughts of her sisters, and perhaps even their mother. Cordelia saw this, and spoke to Olivia of it on one afternoon.

“She has suffered much.”

“It is that obvious?”

“I am not a stranger to the sadness that can overwhelm those who have been victims of mistreatment and abuse.”

Olivia frowned. “Is there any hope for her to find happiness?”

“She needs to believe that she has a future. I can see that she is unsure what place she will have in the world, and if we give her some hope, then she can hope for your whole family to be happy along with her.”

It had not escaped Cordelia that there was some bitterness between the sisters. She decided to try and mend the problem between the girls, and took it upon herself to speak to Eugie about the issue one evening as the ladies played the pianoforte together.

“It was quite the sacrifice that Olivia had made for you.”

“Sacrifice? She has had every comfort while I suffered in misery!” Eugie’s voice had not risen in volume, but the tone was pointed.

“Her marriage was not a love match. Could you imagine being bound to a perfect stranger only for the prospect of fortune?”

“Well, she did not have to be married to him for long.” Eugie’s tone was calmer, but still had a tinge of bitterness.

“And that is an even greater tragedy. Imagine, to be a widow at the age of eighteen. The restraints polite society will put upon such a person even if they are young... It is a great sacrifice she has done and her thoughts were only of you and her family and how the money could help you all.”

“I suppose...”

“Would that I had such a person in my life. I have a step-sister, but despite our great affection during our youth, I found that she could not be moved to care for me so.” This time it was Cordelia’s voice that was laced with bitterness.

Eugie smiled, putting her hand over one of Cordelia’s and squeezing it. “Perhaps I have let jealousy affect me when it comes to my sister.”

Cordelia smiled. “I have forgiven Lotte, but I cannot lie that it pains me still. It is better to look forward to the future, and I forsee that her children and my own will be great friends.”

“What future?” A hoarse sadness had entered Eugie’s voice.

“You have the world ahead of you, so many possibilities. You are wonderful with children. You have a calm patience and eagerness to learn.”

“I’m not smart. Or accomplished enough to be a governess. And I don’t think that Olivia would consider me being a nursemaid an acceptable occupation.”

“You are young yet, and can still learn much. Perhaps you could be a lady’s companion. You have a unique sense of fashion. Perhaps you could learn millinery or dress design?”

Eugie recalled her appalling appearance at her arrive to Brookington Hall and could not help but burst into laughter, and Cordelia joined in, glad that her little joke had brought some lightheartedness into the atmosphere of the room.

It was Edward who offered the London town home for the sisters to reside in for as long as they needed. Olivia needed to speak with her solicitors in order to receive the funds that belonged to her, and if she truly wanted to help her mother and sisters, seeking legal advice and counsel was imperative. Her sister was happy in the country, and in the company of Cordelia, but Olivia insisted that they not be separated. She wanted her sister by her side, and new that keeping her among polite society and taking her on visits was the only way that Eugie would learn to behave correctly and with ease.

Cordelia gave the ladies assurance that she would come to town to visit them, and bade them to visit a close and beloved friend who was now residing in town, and could offer them companionship and protection if they needed it, a Captain Andrew Wedmore. And so the ladies set out for London, Olivia’s mind buzzing with all of the things that needed to be taken care of, and Eugie feeling sick to her stomach with anxiety and anticipation.