Chapter 54

Hunter watched his dad speak to Nathan and Scott. It puzzled him how Nathan was so nice and friendly yet his son was so horrible.

Jacob was watching his mum sit next to the fire by herself. She seemed to be very down and a little on edge. He was beginning to feel bad for doing this. He could have just talked to her about it like an adult instead of playing games with her.

"You're just testing her," Hunter thought. "You need to see what you're dealing with. It's not like you're going to announce it in front of everyone. You're only going to question her in front of William and Scott."

Jacob looked down to his hands and chewed his bottom lip. Being stuck in this situation wasn't great. He was going to get hurt either by his mum's opinions of him or his family breaking apart. He wasn't sure how his dad would take this. They love each other so much. This would really test their relationship.

"Just do what feels right. Or don't do anything and let Grace sort this out. It's her mess, not yours."

Jacob glanced at Hunter who was standing with his pack near the fire. He was watching him too with a gentle expression. The fire mirrored in his beautiful glossy eyes.

Just then, a different voice popped into Jacob's head making him choke on his drink. William turned and patted his back.

"Are you alright?"

Jacob's heart was thumping hard in his chest but he recognised the voice. He looked over to Sam and watched him quickly grin.

"We're officially best friends," Sam's voice was vibrant in his head. Jacob remembered Margo saying something about developing mind links with Hunter's pack when they were closer. "Welcome to my head, Jacob. I can only apologise, it's a bit messy in here."

"It's fine," Jacob smiled. "Mine too."

"Sam," Hunter's voice invaded them both. "Get out of his head."

Jacob turned to his jealous mate and rolled his eyes. Sam instantly froze, not wanting to upset his Alpha.

"You're really strict with him," Jacob mumbled.

"I'm his Alpha. And he's used to it."

"I am."

"Sam!"

The Beta wolf switched off his mind link and turned to talk to Flora.

"You're so possessive," Jacob thought but deep down, he secretly liked how protective Hunter was. It made him feel special.

"I'm pretty sure we had this conversation when we first connected. I'm an alpha, I get jealous and dominant over my territory."

For the first time, Jacob allowed his eyes to flicker down Hunter's body and Hunter's eyes almost popped out of his head. His mate just checked him out, in public and without an ounce of his timid behaviour.

"If you do that again, I'm making out with you right here." 

Jacob dug his hands into his pockets and looked down to the grass with a little smile. But just like that, he was shy once more. He had little bursts of being confident and he really wished it would stay longer than a few minutes. He overthinks things constantly and it's hard for him to be himself around a lot of judging eyes.

Of course, nobody is judging him, yet it's incredibly easy for him to convince himself otherwise.

"Hello," A deep voice boomed, making him quickly look up to see Nathan standing in front of him. His eyes diverted back to the ground and his hands made their way out of his pockets. Nathan watched how he almost instantly began to fidget. "You're Jacob, right?"