Chapter 44

Hunter's grey eyes watched the black silhouette of a small bird as it flew against the outline of the setting sun. The sky was clear and full of a vibrant red and orange horizon that sat at the top of the forest trees. There was a gentle breeze that stroked his skin.

He moved his foot and heard the faint creak of the wooden steps under his feet. He brushed his fingers across the uneven wood of the porch. His mind was lost in everything he was told today.

Growing up, he heard two different opinions on gods. His mother believed but his dad didn't. He stopped caring when he was older because he didn't think it would matter. Even if the gods did exist, they would have never affected his life so what was the point in wasting precious thoughts about it?

He couldn't have been more wrong.

Never in his wildest dreams would he think he'd be paired with a god. A week ago, Jacob was a human. He was regular, simple and normal. His perception of him has changed so much but his feelings never altered. He still loved the way his voice was so quiet, he loved his nervous and jittery fidgeting. He loved his smile and how it brightened up his face. He loved how he chewed on his bottom lip and how he had mini episodes of showing his confidence.

He didn't think it would be possible to love every little ounce of a person but being with Jacob proves him wrong yet again.

He allowed a gentle sigh to escape his lips while his gaze watched the soft sway of the trees. He felt very at peace with himself when he sat and stared at the world outside. Fields bring a sense of calm and tranquillity. He loved the big open space full of soft grass. He especially loved how it smelt when it was freshly cut.

Just then, light footsteps pulled him out of his serene state. He saw the glimpse of yellow boots and smiled when his grandmother used his shoulder for her to comfortably sit on the steps next to him.

"Hi Nana," He spoke softly when she linked arms with him.

"My handsome grandson," She repeated his calm tone, knowing everything that happened today had settled in his mind. "Isn't it beautiful out here tonight?"

Hunter nodded.

"It's so still."

Flora looked up and saw that his vulnerable eyes were showing. She loved it when he stripped back his defences and exposed his raw personality. His true self is rare and lucky to be seen.

"I think I picked the right days to visit," She rested her head against his arm. Hunter loved her comforts. "This lunar cycle should be very exciting."

"I'm interested but nervous too. I hope everything will be okay with Jacob."

"He's very good at learning quickly. When you first connected with him, your mother said he would barely enter the house. Now he's acting very maturely and coming to terms with this."

"It's a lot for him to think about though. I know if that was me, I'd feel a little too overwhelmed."

"But that's a great quality you have. You're able to put yourself in his shoes so you can fully understand what he's going through. You're full of empathy and it's just what he needs."

Hunter looked down to her wise yet old eyes. They have seen a lot.

"I wish I understood my role in all of this. My mate is a god of the wolves, that's just... amazing," Hunter's voice was full of meaning. "But I don't quite get what I have to do."

"Nothing," Flora could hear faint chatting between Anthony and Scott as they talked about the wolves. "Let everything happen naturally. Things like this cannot be forced, life never happens how you want it. It can change so quickly, that is why you need to keep an open mind. One that's full of anticipation and the need for something to happen is a disappointed one. Just live your life like normal, don't expect too much and don't expect too little. You're blessed with what you deserve, that's life."