Part 36

The month of April evoked mixed reactions in the Oak household. All Madhav could think of was the upcoming final examination. Waman was not too worried about his grades but complied quietly whenever Madhav insisted that they study together. Madhav had drawn up a schedule and Surangi and Waman had little choice but to follow it.

"I am so looking forward to the summer holidays, vahini! Then Dada will stop breathing fire down our backs." Waman whispered to Surangi when Madhav went to relieve himself. 

Surangi laughed. She too looked forward to the summer break but that was because she was excited about the trip to Mumbai where she could spend a few weeks with Vidya and her family. Also one of the reasons she worked hard on her grades was that she wanted to outdo the other girls in the neighbourhood, especially Rohini. She had noticed that Madhav no longer coached Rohini but she attributed it to Madhav's own fixation to top the class. Which was just as well, to Madhav's relief. He could never reveal the real reason to Surangi.

"Don't be too optimistic, Bhaoji! For all we know he may give us holiday homework!" Surangi replied and Waman pretended to gag. Just then Madhav returned and scolded them for being distracted in his absence. Waman winked at Surangi when Madhav was not looking and she struggled to keep herself from giggling. 

No matter how engrossed the children were in preparing for their examination the festival of Gudhi Padwa served as a welcome break. Chaitra Pratipada was the first day of the Marathi calendar and corresponded with spring. Home and premises were spruced up. The family woke up early, bathed, put on new clothes, worshipped and partook of bitter neem leaves crushed together with coriander seeds, tamarind and jaggery to start their day. Neem is valued for medicinal use and eating the bitter leaves symbolises one's preparedness to face adversity in life. Along with the sweet and sour of the jaggery and tamarind the ingredients with different tastes represent life's varied experiences.

 Along with the sweet and sour of the jaggery and tamarind the ingredients with different tastes represent life's varied experiences

The Gudhi is an auspicious decoration that Marathi people hoist conspicuously on this day before their homes. A length of brocade-trimmed rich silk fabric is mounted on a stick and held in place with an upturned metal kalash. The gudhi is decorated with mango twigs, neem leaves, flowers and sugar candy garlands. A toran-a decorative string of flowers and leaves- is hung at the entrance of the home. Yashoda and Surangi made a lively rangoli with coloured powder in the front yard and Surangi stood beside it, beaming with pride to admire her creation.

 Yashoda and Surangi made a lively rangoli with coloured powder in the front yard and Surangi stood beside it, beaming with pride to admire her creation

 Sharayu walked quite effortlessly even though she was in the seventh month of her pregnancy. She had recently had her baby shower, the oti-bharane. The children had decked the swing with strings of her favourite fragrant flowers and had lovingly fed her kheer puri after the women who were invited finished placing coconuts, fruit and rice grains in her lap. Yashoda gave her a parrot green saree with a bright pink and gold border. The bangle seller had been called and all the women of the house and the visitors treated themselves to tinkling gold-flecked glass bangles. Surangi's new set was a bit large for her wrists, so she asked Yashoda to keep them safely for her.

"Kaku, take it easy, let us help you!" Madhav rushed forward instinctively as he sensed Sharayu about to place the plantain leaf plates for the festive lunch

"Kaku, take it easy, let us help you!" Madhav rushed forward instinctively as he sensed Sharayu about to place the plantain leaf plates for the festive lunch. Yashoda and Aaji were still making the last of the puran polis on the griddle. Soon the three children helped to serve the feast and the family sat down to a hearty fare of puran poli and masale bhaat. 

Soon after Gudi Padwa the women of the Oak family celebrated Surangi's first Chaitra Gauri Puja. This would mark one of the last festivals of the year that went by before Surangi and Madhav's first anniversary. The ladies of the neighbourhood were invited to worship Gauri with the women of the family. 

Raw mangoes dictated the specials of the day. A relish known as ambe daal was made by grinding together soaked split chickpeas, ginger, green chillies and grated raw mango. This was then tempered with mustard and cumin seeds, hing and curry leaves. Since the boys preferred a cooked version a part of the mixture was stirred in a pan with some oil and steamed until it was ready. The ambe daal was served with  panhey, a squash made from steamed green mango puree. 

The visitors left with their gifts after tasting the snacks and after having traded their fill of the neighbourhood gossip. Only then was Surangi allowed to unclasp all her jewellry and trade her rich saree for comfortable clothes- her ankle length skirt and blouse. 

"Kaku, let me massage your feet while you rest!" Surangi said to Sharayu.

"But Surangi, you need to get back to your books or else Madhav will be upset!" Sharayu responded.

"Don't worry about that, I have done enough studying for today. And the boys are rambling somewhere waiting for our haldi-kunku guests to disperse." Surangi grinned. She loved being around Sharayu these days. There was a good chance for her to see the baby move across the mother's belly. Surangi found this fascinating. She would long to touch the fluttering belly to feel the movement. 

While Surangi was bonding with Sharayu Madhav found himself in an unexpected situation. He was standing before Rohini's brother who waved a letter before him.

"Explain this!" The boy told him sternly.

Madhav glanced through the letter. He easily recognised Rohini's writing.

"My beloved Madhav,

 Ever since what happened between us on Holi I am unable to sleep nor can I focus on my books. What have you done to me, Madhav? You have turned me into your Radha and I will not find peace till you have made me yours. I know that the path of love is difficult, but if you are willing to walk with me life shall be beautiful. 

I see you everywhere- around my home, in the classroom, by the river bank. I try to reach for you but you are not really there, it is only my imagination.

Please Madhav, I cannot take this any longer. You know what I really want. Be my salvation and grant me my fondest wish!

Your eternal slave!!

Rohini"

"What happened between the two of you on Holi? Have you forgotten that you have a wife? How dare you fool around with my sister?" He almost yelled at Madhav.

"Look, it is not I but your sister who has forgotten that I have a wife. I have tried to drop you hints. She has been clingy and it makes me very uncomfortable. She tried to pull a weird stunt that day. Luckily nobody noticed anything." Madhav explained what had happened, trying to stay as tactful with his words as he could. 

Madhav's reputation, credibility and body language clearly indicated that he was telling the truth. After a while Rohini's brother relented. He made Madhav promise that he would keep the letter a secret. The boys parted amicably though a little embarrassed. 

"I need to find a solution soon or else this girl will ruin my brain!" Madhav muttered to himself as he began walking homeward.