Part 30

"'Surangi, your husband should be your own, don't let another girl take more interest in him than she should. This is very important. Do you understand?" Surangi pondered over Arundhati's words. Unlike her the other girls were more concerned about Rohini's new found interest in Madhav. This was probably because Arundhati and Yami were privy to the conversation between Gargi and Rohini concerning the latter seeking assistance from Madhav. Surangi had always been intrigued by the legend of Krishna, the God who attracted the attention of many women and eventually took several wives and companions. The Hindu books called Puranas attributed his relationship with Radha and the other milkmaids of Gokul to an altruistic devotional love rather than a romatic one.

Surangi wondered how Madhav felt about Rohini trying to draw his attention. She had not noticed anything unusual when she spotted him giving Math lessons to Rohini but he had not bothered to mention that he was going to the temple complex to meet the girl who had asked for his help with her homework earlier that day. Surangi wondered why he forgot to mention where he was going. Madhav was a genius, Math was his playground. He derived immense satisfaction in coaching Surangi and Waman and expected them to share his passion for learning. He would get annoyed if he found their concentration faltering. Surangi had learnt to pretend to focus even when she was bored stiff, just to avoid invoking Madhav's wrath.

She wondered what a wife needed to do to prevent her husband's eye from roving. She was too young to understand the intricacies of entrapment by physical attraction or mind games. Madhav was only human, even a God like Krishna was not immune to falling for multiple women at the same time. And nobody blamed him for that, going to the extent of calling Radha his Divine Consort even though she was someone else's spouse. Surangi found these stories from the Puranas confusing. Normally she would pose questions to the older women at home seeking clarification but instinct told her that the adults would be uncomfortable responding to questions on such complex issues.

The children in the Oak household spent the afternoon preparing wicks and cleaning oil lamps for the illumination in the evening. Surangi stole occasional glances at Madhav whose face betrayed no emotion at all. He continued to work as he always did, without noticing a hint of the trepidation in Surangi's mind. She almost dropped the lamp she was cleaning but Madhav caught it expertly, noticing for the first time how preoccupied his wife was.

"Be careful, you may hurt yourself. A broken earthen lamp has jagged edges." He called out a warning.

"I am sorry, I'll be careful now!" She replied.

"What's the matter? You seem lost in thought!" Madhav remarked.

"Dada, I think vahini is wondering if you plan to continue to help us with our homework now that you have found yourself a new pupil." You couldn't see butter melt in Waman's mouth as his words left his mouth. Madhav was smart enough to figure what his cousin was hinting at.

"Why should I not help you? I only coached Rohini because she asked me to. Why should that make any difference to us?" Madhav asked with a nonchalant expression. Neither Surangi nor Waman replied but Waman knew he had done the needful. Madhav may not have questioned Rohini's eagerness to learn from him but he could do well to remember to keep out of trouble, especially if Surangi was affected by it.

Madhav looked at Surangi who was engrossed in her work, her eyes riveted away from him. Someday, he told himself, some wise man would compile a handbook on reading the feminine mind. Was a girl of eight capable of experiencing jealousy, he wondered! He had taken care to avoid mentioning where he was going when he went to the temple to meet Rohini. Was Surangi affected by that, especially when she had spotted the other girl sitting next to him, he was unable to judge. He realised that Surangi and Waman had barely spoken, which was extraordinary. Their constant banter was quite annoying on a typical day.