The school life.

For the past 13 years, she had been a nobody at the same school. It was quite rare, seeing her talking to anyone other than the teachers.
She always had a book tucked under her arm, her companion who'd take her to an entirely different universe, a magical experience of pure and unadulterated fiction and freedom. The characters were her friends, and every time one of them died, she'd despair and just nod at her mother when she asked, "Yet another tragic death?"

School was for the popular. She tried, harder to just become someone she wasn't. But she just couldn't fit in the mainstream plastic-filled school.
The bitches, the jocks, the nerds, the dancers, the artists, the emo  were all there. But she didn't belong to any of those categories. Not even one.
Its as if she were divergent.

People made fun of her, teachers either scolded her or ignored her. She never stood up to answer a question or volunteer for any event or stand for the Head Girl post.
She never attended the dances with a partner. She never hung out with her friends. She never got to be all lovey-dovey with a person she could call her boyfriend.
She never received the highest grades. She never went to parties or at the beach. She never had sleepovers.

This was Amber's school life. Dull, uneventful, not interesting at all, and lonely.

How she yearned for a better life. She was almost desperate to fit in. But she was more scared than desperate.
So she just kept quiet and let it go. After all, school was supposed to be the best years of a person's life.