Alyssa Johnson

I sat in excitement as I watched the school basketball game. Okay, maybe I didn't come for the game. But he was just so handsome!! How could I not come to watch this? I jump as I hear the referee call fowl on James for the third time this game. James Swilly. Alyssa Swilly... Okay, don't get to far ahead. I watch as James runs off the court and over to his coach.

"What was that??" I hear his coach yell at him. "Three yellow cards?? That's crazy! You're out of the game."

James lowers his head and walks towards the door, past me. I stand up and try to catch up to him.

"James!" I yell after him. He turns around and his face lights up.

"Hey Alyssa!" He says and smiles. He flips his messy dirty blond (not literally) hair out of his eyes. I look up into his dark blue eyes. He's not that tall, just a few inches taller than me.

"Hey, you played well tonight." I say, and smile. He quickly looks down.

"No I didn't. I got three yellow cards. I'm a terrible player."

"No... No you're not. You're amazing. And not just at playing basketball." I say, then quickly cover my mouth with my hand. "Err... umm... See you at school?" I say and run away before he see's the rosy blush on my cheeks. 

I run home, which is only about half a mile away from the school, and open the front door.

"I don't care!! Why do I always have to do everything around here?" I hear my step-mom scream at my dad.

"What- YOU?? I am the one who does everything! You can't even make supper in time!"

"Well, you're not the only one that has a job!" 

"Maybe, but I am the one that provides everything for you and Alyssa. You just use your money on your own things!" My dad replies harshly.

I sigh. They don't even notice when I come home anymore. I wish they could just be happy and stop fighting. It depresses me. I crawl into my bed and pull the covers over my head. Even with the door shut I can still hear them fighting. I pull my pillow over my head in an attempt to drown out the screams and shouts of anger. Slowly, but surly, I drift off to sleep.

Beep Beep Beep- I smack my alarm clock. Today is Saturday. I get to sleep in. I love sleeping... 

When I do finally wake up (at 10:30), I pull on some jeans, and a "Keep Calm and Read Books" t-shirt. I walk over to the mirror and jump at the sight of my brown hair. Thankfully, it's naturally straight, so it's not that hard to brush out. After that, I put on some mascara and call it good. Maybe I'll go shopping today... no... it's no fun to go shopping without a friend.

I look at myself. I look at my straight brown hair, to my hazel eyes, to my medium skin tone. Why couldn't I be tall, with blonde hair and blue eyes? All of the boys seem to like those girls. Maybe if I had a friend like that, the boys might see me as an option too. Maybe I'll just stay inside and read today... ugh, but I don't want to waste the entire Saturday like that. Ah ha! I'll go swimming! At the beach!! This is going to be a great day!

I got out of my clothes and put my blue one-piece swimsuit on. This should be fun. I walk over to the door, then realize that I still have my mascara on. That would have been embarrassing. I walk over to my vanity and brush some of my waterproof mascara coat on. I head down the hallway and to the front door. 

"I'm going out dad!" I yell and don't bother to wait for a response. 

I skip down the road with my bag in my hand while quietly singing a lively tune. I get to the beach and lay my towel out, about twenty feet away from a group of boys going surfing. The skate park isn't too far from here either. I can see it from where I'm at. I lay down on my towel and close my eyes. I love the feeling of the sun on my legs and back. It makes me drowsy...