The Outcast

Hi Everybody!! 

This is a homework assignment I had for English class. IMPORTANT: You may notice that the characters in this story of mine are from William Shakespear's Romeo and Juliet. The whole purpose of the assignment was to take one character (in my case, Romeo) and put that character into a different setting, using a theme from the original play. In my story, I put Romeo into a modern high school setting, using a theme and characters from the orignial play. But I don't want to tell you too much, to not give it away ;)

I would really appreciate some feedback! Thank you and Enjoy! 

__________________________________________________________________________

First there was water - destroying everything in its path. Then, the earthquake - that had cracked the walls, the rooms, and collapsed the shelves. All of this happened in one city, in one school, to one boy - only one boy. This boy, was Romeo Montague, the 16-year-old who started it all. It all began as a normal high school day. Hundreds of students crowded the halls - chattering, laughing, or if you were part of Glee Club - then singing. Boys talked of football, and girls talked of cute new clothes on sale.  Teachers had organized their school schedule, getting ready for class, and the principal was getting ready for morning announcements.

Ten minutes before class, boys gathered in front of their lockers to talk about what they were going to do on the social outcast.

"Look at that nerd over there reading Shakespeare." one boy said.

"The one with the glasses?" his friend asked.

"Yea."

"Let's go get him."

There in the corner, who sat reading, was none other than Romeo Montague, the blonde-haired, blue eyed social outcast. He was too immersed in his book to realize what was going on. Coming up in front of him were the most feared Senior jocks of Verona High - Tybalt and Prince.

“Hey Prince, lookie what we have here!” Tybalt smirked. Romeo finally took his eyes off his book, trying not to show his fear, he bent his head down, and pretended to read.

“Yeah, a little loser, with his big book.” Prince said.

“Nah, don’t be mean, Prince, he’s not a loser, right? What’s your name?” Tybalt asked.

Romeo didn’t respond.

“Hey, answer him!” Prince moved closer to intimidate him. Romeo mustered some courage and said his name. Tybalt stretched out his arm to stop Prince.

“Now, no need for that, Prince.” Tybalt chucked. “So...’Romana Montagoopaaa’, he said spitting at Romeo, at the last syllable. Romeo closed his eyes, trying not to get irritated. He just wanted it all to stop.

“Stop it.” Romeo whispered.

Tybalt  cupped his hands and put them to his ears. “Wha--What did you say? I couldn’t hear you.”

Romeo was being sick and tired of getting played with, he knew Tybalt was trying to provoke him, but still he couldn’t help it.

Romeo stood up. “I said stop, or S-T-O-P, just in case you don’t know how to spell it.”  He replied fiercely, feeling proud of himself.

“Ooo, looks like our little boy has an attitude!” Tybalt whistled, fanning his hand up and down for effect.

Romeo felt angry - his cheeks were getting red, and his skin was getting warmer, but he couldn’t do anything about it, because he knew that Tybalt was popular for starting fights - and this was a fight he did not want to be in. He wanted to continue to defend himself, but stopped, because he realized what was at stake.