34. My Medicine

‘Holy mother of god, let me die.’

‘Come on, Ép.  That wasn’t too bad.’

‘“Wasn’t too bad?” Harry, that was the worst thing ever.’ My forehead thudded against the door.  ‘Let me melt into a pool of humiliation,’ I mumbled against the wood.  Breathing in deeply on account that I was about to hyperventilate, I felt Harry’s soothing presence behind me as he peeled my body away from the door, into his arms.

‘Now now, your mother was charming.’

‘Harry, for all intents and purposes, she caught Liam and I in bed.’

As soon as the words tumbled through my lips, Harry froze, his rapid body language suggesting his unaware knowledge of this.

Oh fudgecakes.

‘What?’ His squeeze on my body loosened.  ‘You slept with Liam?’

‘No, no, no!’ I hurriedly responded.

‘Then?’ Harry quizzed.

‘It wasn’t like that, I promise you.’

‘Then what was it?’

 I tried to speak, but all that came to mind was a tangled botch of words whirling around my brain.  Massaging the back of my neck, I craned my head in the direction of the floor.  I was too scared to look at Harry’s eyes.  Let alone try and explain what happened with one of his best friends.

Detecting a change of air in the scene, I lifted my head and witnessed Harry’s eyes bulge out of its sockets as he jerked me around by the wrist.

‘What’s that on your neck?’ he interrogated.  Brushing the side of his index finger against my skin, I let out a wince as I realized that Harry was demanding an answer about the hickey near my collarbone.

‘Harry, it-’

He cut me off with a swift glare.  ‘'Ponine, what did you do with Liam?’

‘Harry, we didn’t go that far when I realised he wasn’t you-’

‘Éponine, answer my question.’ His slow enunciation and rather steady breathing meant proper business. ‘What did you and Liam do?’ He pensively asked.

‘W-we kissed and, erm, we sort of got to that stage where things got heated up…’ I squeaked.  I could feel my body completely shaking under Harry’s glare as he towered over me, slowly backing my body against the wall and leaving no route to escape.

Never in my life had I seen Harry like this.  His angry, dark side had always seemed shrouded deep inside him… to be replaced by this genuine, happy-go-lucky personality that I definitely didn’t take for granted.  Although, I wasn’t going to lie, I felt incredibly intimidated.  But at the same time, I felt… turned on.

My stomach churned apprehensively, the intense stare of his eyes gradually breaking my body down bit by bit as I scrutinized the way his lips moved desirably close to mine.  I bit my lip, hard.

‘He touched you, didn’t he?’ I heard him say.

‘Harry-’

‘Did he or did he not touch you?’ he growled, placing his hands on the wall either side of my head.

Gulping, I whispered, ‘He did.’

I carefully gazed at Harry’s face, inches from mine, as his pupils danced across my eyes, reading my emotions as if I was an open book.  His expression was entirely unreadable that I couldn’t distinct the multiple emotions flashing across the flecks of blue in his eyes, darkening against the sunshine reflection and creating a somewhat illusion that fascinated me by its simple beauty.