Ruby & Emily - Part 6

Ruby waves to Petey as she hurries to car, anxious to get this spying business done and over with. Thankfully, Emily is already there waiting for her.

They hop in Ruby's antique wood chuck station wagon and start driving.

"Just loop around the school a few times until we see him pull out." Emily directs.

They silently circle the school once and see that he's just pulling out.

"Talk about perfect timing!" Emily exclaims.

"We are officially stalkers." Ruby argues.

"Hey, be careful. Always stay about 2 cars behind him."

They continue to follow him, undetected, down a few streets and then around the elementary they chatted at the day prior. He eventually parks in front of to an unfamiliar house. Ruby copies and pulls up across the street and they both immediately hunch over to avoid being caught.

Petey gets out of his truck and knocks on the door. It opens up even before he finishes knocking but neither of them can see who answered it.

Emily starts to unbuckle herself from the car.

"What are you doing?" Ruby squeaks.

"Come on. We're both curious."

"Well, yeah, but I'm the only one that has the right to be."

No more convincing was needed for Ruby to climb out of her car and trail behind Emily up to the house.

As she was crossing, Ruby quickly scanned the foreign street and, luckily, didn't see anyone watching their suspicious behavior. Emily looks in the lower level living room window after they walked onto the huge wrap around porch and whispers to Ruby.

"No one's down here. Move out!" Emily orders quietly.

Ruby nods confidently and opens the door slowly. It doesn't make a sound.

The room is brightly lit and immaculately kept. Their dirty sneakers leave a small trail as they cross the clean cream carpet. The furniture just screams 'I'm worth a lot' with it's plush seats and back rests attached to dark, detailed wooden spines.

There are three sets of pillows in each of the two corners of the sofa and an additional pillow on the lone arm chair.

Ruby points at the beautiful sofa.

"You could, like, buy David Hasselhoff for a day with one of these!"

Emily spots an old European style painting on the wall of a leader conquering something and comically mimics the pose. Ruby motions for her to stop but Emily is unable to take this seriously. She continues and waltzes fancily over to a huge fireplace that fills most of the living area space. She spots a box of expensive looking chocolates wrapped in gold paper and puts one in her mouth. She even shoves the paper it was wrapped in into her pocket, shamelessly.

"Who knows! This could be actual gold." Emily says.

Ruby roles her eyes and they continue across the carpet. They stay on the first floor and choose a random way to go in hopes of uncovering something. That's when it happens: the laughter.

Ruby steps forward and leads the way as they allow their ears to be a guide. They turn around a corner and see a large entry way leading into what appears to be a common kitchen area.

Much more upscale than one that Ruby's used to, this kitchen has all the fine furnishings. It's full of stainless steel appliances, brand new whisks and spatulas, granite counter tops, and a strange bowl of perfectly ripe fruit.