eighteen.

"No! You son of a- You asshole! Damn you!" I scream at Loki as I strain against the shackles angrily, angry tears pricking the edges of my eyes.

I feel angry sobs rip out of my throat. He killed Coulson. He killed Tony. Both of them, right in front of me.

Suddenly, a familiar red and gold suit flies up, thrusters already fired up. "And there's another guy you pissed off." Tony says with his metallic voice.

"His name was Phil." Loki tries to shoot Tony, but Tony beats him to it, knocking the God of Mischief through a window.

Tony starts to make his way toward me, but a loud roar erupts above us. "Right. Army." I hear him remark. "Shay-"

"Just go!" I yell, relieved that he's alright. "I'll be fine! But save some for me!" I'm pretty sure Tony laughed under that metal suit. I smile as he flies away.

Loki stands shakily, and glances back at me to make sure I'm still there. "I haven't moved a damn inch Rudolph." I mutter angrily.

He walks over to me, smirking evilly. "You're not much use up here." He says. "You'd be much better help on the ground."

"If you think I'll help you," I spit as he comes almost an inch away from my face.

"Then you're delusional."

"No, I know you won't." He says. "Well, not on your own anyway." He steps back a bit and powers up his scepter.

"Maybe this might convince you."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Steve Rogers -- Captain America

I slammed my shield into another chitauri, and slammed my fist down on the gun hand, ripping the gun and, much to my disgust, half the arm off and away from the chitauri. It screamed in pain before I hit it over the head and silenced it forever.

"I have to get up there!" I yelled to Natasha and Clint. "I have to save her!" I yelled. Natasha nodded. "You just have to find a way up-" Suddenly a large gust of strong wind blew the three of us off our feet and to the ground.

A lithe, raven haired figure landed gracefully on the ground in front of us, a whirlwind of air dying under her feet.

"Shay!" I yell, standing and running over to her. "I'm so glad you're-" Suddenly, I slammed into something hard, almost like a wall, and was blown back a good foot or two. I looked at her in surprise. She had hit me with a wall of air, blowing me backwards and away from her.

"Don't touch me." She said simply.

"Shay?" Natasha asked beside me. "Guys, look at her eyes." I looked at her closely, and now that Clint had pointed it out, I noticed it immediately.

Her eyes, her beautiful dark brown eyes, weren't dark brown anymore.

They were blue.

"She's under his control." Natasha said quietly, her face a mask of grief. My heart exploded in pain as she smiled sarcastically. "I'm sorry." She said, not sounding sorry at all. "But I'm of more use down here than chained up upstairs."

She lunges forward, a fireball forming in her hand. I push Natasha and Clint back, and lunge forward, shield in front of me. I hear a loud hiss and intense heat, but I keep running forward until I run into something, hard.

I hear Shay swear under her breath as I roll off of her, on my feet in seconds. "Cap!" Natasha yells. "Cognitive recalibration!"

Cognitive recalibration. A really hard hit to the head. That was how Natasha got Loki out of Clint's head.

"Shay!" I yelled as my shield collided with one of the rock fragments she sent hurtling toward me. "You have to fight this!"

"The only thing I have to fight is you!" She retorts, shooting a funnel of air at me. I only manage to get my shield up before the whirlwind sends me flying backwards. I land on my back, sharp pain coursing through my body.

"Damn it." I murmur, standing. "Don't you remember everything that has happened over these last few days?" I ask, facing her.

Her straight, shoulder length raven hair was blowing back in the breeze, and the unnatural blue of her eyes unsettled me. "I do remember." She said softly after a moment. For a moment, I thought that her eyes had shifted to a dark brown. But her expression hardened, and they were the same blue.

"But it doesn't matter. Because in the end, no matter how hard you fight, he will make you kneel."

"It does matter!" I retort, lowering my shield. "You're fighting with him? Don't you remember everything he said to you, while he was in the glass cage back on the hellicarrier?" I ask her. Her eyes turn dark brown again, and this time I know that I didn't imagine it.

"You don't fight with him, you fight against him! He's the one causing all this destruction-" I gestured around wildly around the square. Her eyes looked conflicted, and I knew Loki was fighting to keep control over her mind. I don't know how, but she was fighting him. The thought filled me with hope, knowing that some small part of her could hear me.

"Fury told me that you were there for Coulson's last moments, his last words. Don't you remember who killed Agent Coulson?!" I yelled over the chaos. "Shailene Elrend, you have to fight this! I care about you to much to lose you like this! I don't want to have to use cognitive recalibration, but if its the last option, then I will use it! Loki, get the hell out of her head and leave her alone!"

Her eyes filled with confusion as I finished, the blue slowly draining from her eyes. "You care about me?" She asked. There was still a small tint of blue in her eyes as I approached her. I stood in front of her, her body rigid.

"Yes. And this might convince you."

I pulled her to me by her shoulders, and pressed my lips to hers, eyes closed as the chaos around us momentarily faded away.

Her lips were tense and rigid at first, but slowly, softened and started to move in sync with mine.

She pulled away, her face featuring an expression of bewilderment. "Steve?" She asked softly. Her dark brown eyes, no longer blue, sparkled as she looked up at me, looking surprised.

"Your eyes." I said softly. "They're dark brown again."

"They always were." She said, looking around, confused. "Where are we?"

"They were blue a few minutes ago." I replied. She turned to me, looking even more confused and disoriented.

"Blue?" Suddenly, her expression hardened and her fists clenched beside her. "Loki." She seethed, glaring up at the top of Stark Towers.

"Yeah." I replied.

She looked back at me, a small smile on her face. "Were you really a mess when I was gone?" She asked me. I shifted uncomfortably as I rubbed the back of my neck. "Well, yeah. I was worried about you." I replied. Her smile grew on her face.

"I guess now I know what I have to fight for." She replied, her smile still growing as her beautiful dark brown eyes sparkled and reflected the fighting around us.

AN---

BOOM! That just happened!

You guys like the new update? Sorry to say, but my next one might take a bit longer, cuz of final exams and everything. So sorry. Just bear with me, alright?

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!